Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
please help me.
Recently I have bought not-running CX 500E PC06 with a dream to make my own rebuilt.
Honestly I was a bit naive, the frame does not allow me to much modification (without cutting, welding - I do not prefer it because of regular technical inspection).
I have plan to completely remove air-box and the rest under the seat, and use open air filters (see Honda CX500 ze Slovcka | Motorki.cz - I pretty like this conception).
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

This is hard to do it, no space because of middle bar of frame...

And instead of central rear shock-absorber Pro-link, I would like to used two at the sides - this is also not possible.

Maybe silly question: if I get the older frame, do you have experience that the engine with the rest will fit to the frame, and all mounting place will fit too?
If someone can confirm that, what kind of model can you recommend, please? Any frame cx500, just not "Euro"?

Thank you in advance, and good luck,

Jan from Prague

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
The motor is a drop in fit with a change of thermostat top cover.

But... depending on year it may be necessary to adapt ignition systems which can get invlolved.

Is the earlier bike CDI or TI ignition.

If unknown, what are the first few digits of the engine number?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, CXPHREAK.
The year is 1985, the engine number is CX500E 3000332...
The missing/not-working electro-equipments is why the engine is not working (hopefully just this), it should be model with two CDI units (one per ignition coil/cylinder).
Is it so, according to engine number?
Yes, I assume some adaptation with ignition system (I suppose to cover CDI units and relay to some special box under the seat, replace the regulator where can be cooled...)

I am sorry, I am not native speaker..."a drop in fit with a change" means that there will be some collision, and engine will not fit because of thermostat cover?
Some possibility how to solve?

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
Not sure where you are {please fill in your profile info} but I don't recognise your number. Ours seem to end at 24 for 82, which is when they stopped building these. We have them plated as 83 though, but the plates are fitted at import.

That aside, if both motors are TI, the motors are identical except for thermostat, carbs and intake runners and will go straight in.

Use the thermostat cover that came with your bike, not the replacement motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's for reminding, profile filled. I'm from Czech republic / Europe, that's maybe why the number is strange...(number is on the right side of the engine, before the oil cup).
I am not sure by TI - it seems there are more variations according to countries.
I checked the el. scheme for this model and there should be 2x CDI - I think this should be for Europe (as I have learn after 1981 TI's were in USA).

So, I understand the frame is compatible except of 3 components which I can use from previous engine - great! :)
I was suspicious if the positions of mounting holes/pitches are different.

Thank you, Jan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get it:D
Till now I believed that CDI means "capacitor...." and TI means "transistor ignition"...
Ok, you make me smarter, thank you CXPHREAK! ;)
Jan

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
You were correct to begin with Jan. TI = Transiterised Ignition. CDI = capacitor Discharge Ignition.

At some point we've crossed wires... but the main thing is the motor will fit. :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm from Czech republic / Europe, that's maybe why the number is strange...(number is on the right side of the engine, before the oil cup).
Surely you mean the number is on the LEFT side (in front of the oil filler)?

I doubt that CX500s were sold in what was then Czechoslovakia, so there should not be anything 'strange' about yours as it has most likely been imported into the Czech Republic from a country that was previously in the 'West' of Europe (didn't the old regime not allow anything other than Communist Block-built bikes, or were they just too expensive for people to import?), so it ought to be able to identify to which country it was originally exported from Japan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hallo Jan,

you can put the engine of the 500 E into the frame of every CX or GL 500 (maybe not the 500 Turbo).
But there are some minor or bigger problems as regards ignition, cable harness and switches and maybe the gear lever.
If the frame is one that originally was a TI-model (the CX 500 and CX 500 C with 4 fuses and the double piston front brake) it is a drop fit as CXPHREAK has already mentioned.
If you get the frame of a CDI-model the cable harness and the reservoir for the cooling liquid have to be adapted. The reservoir for the cooling liquid of the older frame does not fit with the rear cover of the engine. If you use the reservoir of the E-engine the fastening does not fit the frame. So this will need some adaptation.
As regards the ignition you have to use the ignition coils of the E-engine and some adaptation has to be made to fasten them to the old frame.
The E has four fuses (if you count the main fuse it is five) the CDI-models have 2 (3) fuses. So there also has to be some adaptation to the wire harness.
Last but not least there are the switches. If you use the switches of the older model, your engine will only run with the kill switch in the OFF position. You also have to do some adaptation for the high beam switch.
If you use the frame of a CX 500 C (be it TI or CDI) you may have to use the gear lever of that model depending on the exhaust you will use.

So in any case apart from changing the look of the bike you will have to do some changes of the "interior".

schorsche

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
No matter what the papers for your bike say, it is not a 1985 model. Honda produced the models with 500cc engines from 1978 to 1982 and the models with 650cc engines in 1983 and 84. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series has a pretty good overview of the variations.

Look on the steering head (the tube at the front of the frame where the steering pivots) for a plate that has the model number, model year, serial number and date built.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surely you mean the number is on the LEFT side (in front of the oil filler)?

I doubt that CX500s were sold in what was then Czechoslovakia, so there should not be anything 'strange' about yours as it has most likely been imported into the Czech Republic from a country that was previously in the 'West' of Europe (didn't the old regime not allow anything other than Communist Block-built bikes, or were they just too expensive for people to import?), so it ought to be able to identify to which country it was originally exported from Japan.
Hello PDC-500B,
yes, you are right - it is on the LEFT side, my mistake. On the right side is VIN, but it is on the frame, not, crank-case.
Regarding to your notes and question, you are right too - I guess almost all CXs were imported after the Velvet revolution in 1989 (but I think popularity for CXs came much lately, just my opinion), they were and are imported mainly from Germany, than Austria, Italy...
I don't think the old regime did not allow 'west' goods such these bikes, there was no need to prohibit because the price of these bikes were similar to small house in the village:) No demand, no offer...
If there was some similar bike (and new), it belongs to some prominent or prominent's son, or absolutely big fan (with support of influential friends...) - very rare and uneasy.
BTW, I have this is memory to your question 'old regime not allow..' : I was a small child just before 1989, but I remember how exciting was to see my older mates drinking west Coca-Cola, wear west jeans and listen west Jackson from west walkman...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No matter what the papers for your bike say, it is not a 1985 model. Honda produced the models with 500cc engines from 1978 to 1982 and the models with 650cc engines in 1983 and 84. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series has a pretty good overview of the variations.

Look on the steering head (the tube at the front of the frame where the steering pivots) for a plate that has the model number, model year, serial number and date built.
Hi, I know this overview.
Be honest I still don't know what is true. Regardless of the papers, there is this number on the steering head (and plate with VIN on the right side of frame) - and it is the same: 1985.
BTW, if you check very known german e-shop with second-hand cars and bikes mobile.de ? Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen ? Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt, there are many of CX500 after 1982.
On the other hand, I still could not find any repair manual for this year, all I've found were till 1982...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hallo Jan,

you can put the engine of the 500 E into the frame of every CX or GL 500 (maybe not the 500 Turbo).
But there are some minor or bigger problems as regards ignition, cable harness and switches and maybe the gear lever.
If the frame is one that originally was a TI-model (the CX 500 and CX 500 C with 4 fuses and the double piston front brake) it is a drop fit as CXPHREAK has already mentioned.
If you get the frame of a CDI-model the cable harness and the reservoir for the cooling liquid have to be adapted. The reservoir for the cooling liquid of the older frame does not fit with the rear cover of the engine. If you use the reservoir of the E-engine the fastening does not fit the frame. So this will need some adaptation.
As regards the ignition you have to use the ignition coils of the E-engine and some adaptation has to be made to fasten them to the old frame.
The E has four fuses (if you count the main fuse it is five) the CDI-models have 2 (3) fuses. So there also has to be some adaptation to the wire harness.
Last but not least there are the switches. If you use the switches of the older model, your engine will only run with the kill switch in the OFF position. You also have to do some adaptation for the high beam switch.
If you use the frame of a CX 500 C (be it TI or CDI) you may have to use the gear lever of that model depending on the exhaust you will use.

So in any case apart from changing the look of the bike you will have to do some changes of the "interior".

schorsche

Hi Schorsche,
thank you, I don't afraid of adaptation (but I am writing from my bed, not garage).
BTW, wonderful manual :read2:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
Hi, I know this overview.
Be honest I still don't know what is true. Regardless of the papers, there is this number on the steering head (and plate with VIN on the right side of frame) - and it is the same: 1985.
BTW, if you check very known german e-shop with second-hand cars and bikes mobile.de ? Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen ? Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt, there are many of CX500 after 1982.
On the other hand, I still could not find any repair manual for this year, all I've found were till 1982...
Many places register the vehicle according to the year it was first sold. That is a legal matter and has absolutely nothing to do with what the bike really is. I just looked it up and the Euro VIN plates don't include the model year and built date. I personally think this is almost criminally stupid. There were some differences from year to year and even between models of the same year so it is very important to know what you really have when ordering parts. This is especially important if the bike has been modified to look different than it did originally, like you want to do.

If you post some good, clear, reasonably large (at least 800 pixels wide) pictures if your bike before you start taking it apart we might be able to identify it for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many places register the vehicle according to the year it was first sold. That is a legal matter and has absolutely nothing to do with what the bike really is. I just looked it up and the Euro VIN plates don't include the model year and built date. I personally think this is almost criminally stupid. There were some differences from year to year and even between models of the same year so it is very important to know what you really have when ordering parts. This is especially important if the bike has been modified to look different than it did originally, like you want to do.

If you post some good, clear, reasonably large (at least 800 pixels wide) pictures if your bike before you start taking it apart we might be able to identify it for you.

Hi Sidecar Bob,
I would really appreciate if you help me identify it.

Here is my CX:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

Of course, the front fairing has nothing to do with original state. I afraid many identification marks are hidden because of the fairing, but here are just my remarks compared to the older cx500:
- as Schorsche mentioned, there are 4 fuses at the front (+ main fuse under the seat)
- again as Schorsche mentioned, two-cylinders front brake calipers, and brake disks have cut-out strips (as far as I know the older models have full material)
- more boxy tank
- Pro-link
- papers and VIN say this is PC06 model, VIN is half in english, half german

This is really interesting what have you written regarding the false of year.
I found even some differences between english and german version in wikipedia. You attached the link, please just change the language to german (Deutsch): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX500#Baujahre
and on the top you can see model years, here is my PC06. And bellow in the chapter Baujahre is noted : CX500 E (1982–1983) (MJ 1982–1983)

That's why still do not understand where is true...maybe produced 1982-1983, than stored somewhere, and than sold and firstly registered in 1985?
Then I still do not understand why so e-shop has possibility to choose model years 1985.

BTW, this picture in wikipedia looks very similar : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series#/media/File:Honda_CX500_Sports_50PS_1985.jpg
Even black painted gaps on the cylinder heads (I thought it was done by previous german owner, but it is probably manufactured with).

regards, Jan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a CX500E, ie. Eurosport, regardless of what year it was registered.
Yes of course, no doubts (even at the engine is CX500E and its number) ...the point is the year of producing. 1982–1983 as german wikipedia said, or what Sidecar Bob mentioned?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes of course, no doubts (even at the engine is CX500E and its number) ...the point is the year of producing. 1982–1983 as german wikipedia said, or what Sidecar Bob mentioned?
Don't think it really matters what the year is for your bike. Pretty sure the only changes during the period of CX500E manufacture was down to different bodywork colours. Yes, yours may have been registered in 1985, but it certainly was not manufactured in that year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts