Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself to the board before I start my barage of questioning. I was born and currently live in NE Indiana. I have an amazing wife and 2 great children. I grew up riding dirt bike and quads but have turned to street bikes now that I am a little older. I got my love of motorcycles from my father who put me on my first Honda dirt bike at 6. This will be my second bike, currently working on a XS650 bobber as well.

I have been browsing the forum for a couple weeks now and I have to say that this seems like a great community. Everyone is super nice and helpful. Very glad to be joining such a great forum.

Now for the bike. Picked up this beauty 3 weeks ago for $200!

After checking out all the ID info on the board and Wiki, I still have a question about the model. The frame and engine serial numbers say that it is a 1978. From what I have gathered though, they didn't start making the Deluxe until 1979. It has the windjammer and reverse com-star wheels, 19 front and 16 rear, all options of the Deluxe. Did someone just add the windjammer and trade out the wheels later on? Do I have a 78 with the Deluxe package?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
By the look of the bike and your description it is probably an early 79 model. Does the tag say something like 10/1978? If so it was sold as a 79.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,064 Posts
Seat and radiator are '78 (or possibly '79) Standard. Everything else I see (tank, side covers, wheels, MC) is Deluxe. You have a mongrel, but that's mostly just cosmetic.

If the label on the steering stem tube says "1979 Model", it's a Standard. a Deluxe will say "Deluxe".

R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went home last night and look things over a little more closely.

On the steering head it has "12/77" and doesn't say anything about "Deluxe", so I would definitely say its a '78. Randall would be correct in that everything has been added to make it a "Deluxe"

I am currently living just north of Fort Wayne.

Here is what they had rigged up to support the windjammer. Yes, that is rebar! (horribly welded might I add)

Believe I am going to have my work cut out for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts