Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.

I've been lurking around this forum since last July after I bought my first bike (and first CX500), but I haven't formally introduced myself beyond asking questions and buying odds and ends from other members.

IMG_0323.JPG

This is the 1980 CX500C as I bought it with the rest of the bike filling up the bed of my truck. The engine was almost completely disassembled when I bought it with only the crankshaft still installed. I spent the next few months slowly rebuilding everything, diagnosing a faulty stator as the original reason the bike was parked and eventually tore apart. After Custom Rewind and a new Ignitech and a lot more money than I thought I'd spend, I was finally able to start it in early November.

Thankfully, it was a pretty mild winter here in Kansas and I was able to get her out and ride a lot. As the winter went along, I made the bike my own and last Saturday got it to the point where I'm very happy with it. Here's how she stands now.

IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0614.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg

I just want to say thank you to everyone here. The older threads on this forum helped me figure a lot of this out and I never could have done it without you all. There's still some wrinkles that need to be ironed out so I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Glad to be a part of this site.

Lyt

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Very nice bike, I like it a lot.
There will always be "wrinkles" to work out.
Did you do the paint???
My bike needs paint but I am not sure how to get it done.

How did you do the front fender??? I am working on a CB400T
and that fender would work for the CB.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okie,

I did do the paint with rustoleum rattle can. I'm happy with it, but it's my first time trying something like this. I do some spraying painting at my job but painting a ballwasher on a golf course is a far cry from doing a gas tank on a bike. I think if I had been more patient with the wet sanding and gotten better quality paint, it would have turned out better. Also, I had to do extensive bondo work (which was a first for me) and while it looks good in the pictures you can see the imperfections in person.

I'm happy with a paint job that isn't perfect, because it's going to be a daily-driver and I wanted to do everything myself.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Nice job! Imperfections are character as far as I'm concerned.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Impressive "workabout" for just a year into it. I had to chuckle at the Marvel Mystery oil tin, I assume this is an overflow for the rad? If so, did you ditch the original bottle and also the air box? I can't see behind the nice saddle bags.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like your choice on exhaust pipes. I've been wondering what could look good on my fairly stock gl500i I think those would do. Where did you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Ramprat
Yes that is the rad overflow. The stock one was cracked to hell. The air box is still there. Just hidden behind the saddlebags because I didn't have side covers.

@Jabreeze
Those are from Dime City Cycles. I'm sure they're much louder than stock but since mine were completely rusted through I can't say from experience. They aren't too loud to me though.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-12-inch-shorty-muffler.html

There's the link hopefully. They have a lot more to choose from too.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey from Calif.

Good job.

In Wichita once on my way to Augusta Ks.

Wanted to stop at the Indian School (1969-70) and see

a girl that was there.

Blizzard coming from Chicago,

jumped in the car drove on Ice till near NM.

Non stop except food and gas.

Oh well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@PurpleCX
Thanks. I'm actually from Augusta originally. Strange coincidence.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
How did you do the front fender??? I am working on a CB400T
and that fender would work for the CB.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Okie
That's the stock fender cut down to about 15 inches from front to back. Here's a photo from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
OK, I can do that. Your front tire is exactly like mine.
I have some spare fenders if I screw it up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@Ramprat
Yes that is the rad overflow. The stock one was cracked to hell. The air box is still there. Just hidden behind the saddlebags because I didn't have side covers.

@Jabreeze
Those are from Dime City Cycles. I'm sure they're much louder than stock but since mine were completely rusted through I can't say from experience. They aren't too loud to me though.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-12-inch-shorty-muffler.html

There's the link hopefully. They have a lot more to choose from too.
Hey I'm thinkin I like the looks of the plain angled extensions. One guy left a review and said he just used those turned down and they did fine. Might look cool on a cafe/bobber. Plus they come in a pair.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I'm thinkin I like the looks of the plain angled extensions. One guy left a review and said he just used those turned down and they did fine. Might look cool on a cafe/bobber. Plus they come in a pair.

That'd look cool. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love it! Did you do the seat? I have 2 1979s; one Custom and one Standard. I'd like a different seat on the Standard like yours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love it! Did you do the seat? I have 2 1979s; one Custom and one Standard. I'd like a different seat on the Standard like yours.
I cut the pan out of plywood and took it to a local upholstery shop for the rest. I'm not super happy with it because it cost just as much as some you can buy online and those probably have better seat pans than mine. The reason I decided not to go that route is I wanted some of my own leather in it to match the saddle bags. To mount it I put 6 threaded inserts in the pan and bolted through cross-braces. Makes it kinda of pain to put on and take off. I don't have any pictures of the process but I could take photos of the bottom if you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts