Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
- 1978 Cx500 w/ an 83 CX650 engine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is technically my introduction as I’ve only lurked in the dark around here. Anyways I have a 78 cx500 that originally was just going to be a mono shock conversion then I picked up a complete cx650 for $400 so of course I had to swap the motor! This projects been on the back burner for a while but I just got around to building and tack welding my rear mono shock mounts and addressing that god awful ugly area when you cut off the rear subframe. I see a lot of shops/people just cut it off and put little caps on them which to me is an eye sore! I wanted mine to look “factory” so here’s what I came up with. Obviously there is still a lot of welding and grinding/blending to do but let me know what you guys think or any recommendations. Also just to add the mono shock is from a newer bmw r nine t and was built for use without a linkage system.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, I have a cx500 output shaft sitting on the shelf, I just haven’t got around to putting it in; it’s on the long list of things to do. To be honest I’m a noob when it comes to wiring and ignition system things so I’ll be relying on this community to steer me in the right direction.
My hope was to use the factory system for this year. Plan a full tear down next winter and upgrades where I skimped this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recline thanks for the heads up! I’ll be sure to check it when I crack it open. I do have the complete 650 wiring harness as I had a complete donor bike that was buried in the back of an old man’s shop for nearly 20yrs. However I just said to hell with it and bought an x21 from NWT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sidecar bob, thank you for the heads up. I got around to checking the clearance tonight. Looks like I’m in the clear with a 120/90/18 tire. I’ll be switching to a 140/70/17 this week so I should definitely not have any issues with clearance. As to the mono shock- I can totally understand how it would be deemed “not advisable”. With the dual shocks, they are so close to the rear axle that there really isn’t any pressure on the swing arm at that point. The swing arm just holds the wheel in alignment really. My lower shock mount does extend all the way across the swingarm however I’ll still probably look into welding supports to strengthen the actual arm portion. Thanks again for the tips!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definitely don’t own a CX for its performance. Anywho, forgive me as I’m fairly new to the street motorcycle world but in my head I’m thinking -the difference between the 110 and 140 is 1inch max difference. Which split that in half is 0.5inch wider on each side. That doesn’t seem like much. But then a tall sidewall has to have some ill effect on cornering right? If I’m thinking clearly- 120/90/18 has a sidewall height of 4.25 inches and the 140 is 3.86in. The difference is 0.39in. (Not even factoring in that the 18in wheel radius is already 0.5” further away from the axle). That has to account for something? I mean, tell me we are just splitting hairs here? I know modern sport bikes are running 190 tires which is a huge leap from 110-120.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts