Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is technically my introduction as I’ve only lurked in the dark around here. Anyways I have a 78 cx500 that originally was just going to be a mono shock conversion then I picked up a complete cx650 for $400 so of course I had to swap the motor! This projects been on the back burner for a while but I just got around to building and tack welding my rear mono shock mounts and addressing that god awful ugly area when you cut off the rear subframe. I see a lot of shops/people just cut it off and put little caps on them which to me is an eye sore! I wanted mine to look “factory” so here’s what I came up with. Obviously there is still a lot of welding and grinding/blending to do but let me know what you guys think or any recommendations. Also just to add the mono shock is from a newer bmw r nine t and was built for use without a linkage system.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, I have a cx500 output shaft sitting on the shelf, I just haven’t got around to putting it in; it’s on the long list of things to do. To be honest I’m a noob when it comes to wiring and ignition system things so I’ll be relying on this community to steer me in the right direction.
My hope was to use the factory system for this year. Plan a full tear down next winter and upgrades where I skimped this year.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
The stock CX650 ignition is quite robust. I wouldn't hesitate to continue using it.
Make sure to check the automatic tensioner. Replace the cam chain if the tensioner is near the end of it travel.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I agree, use the cx650 ignition. Need the 650 coils, spark units, kill sw and ignition sw, (all different) and some wiring changes, or the 650 harness maybe? Shift lever?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts