Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who contribute to the information available on this cycle site; last year, after snooping around here quite a bit, it heavily affected my choice of motorbike to get back into riding after 30 years. I found a really nice 79 with a windjammer last spring, sissy bar included, and rode all sorts of miles on it; great therapy. Unfortunately my season was cut a bit short in September due to an inattentive driver coming up my rear. I'm keeping my eye out for the parts I need to get the bike back on the road and enjoy another year of riding.

Joaquim

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Unfortunately my season was cut a bit short in September due to an inattentive driver coming up my rear.

Joaquim
Sounds painful.

Any pictures from the event or of the bike? In 79 all 3 models of cx were made. Not so many of the standard but parts for them should be cheap and easy as long as you're not looking for a tank.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
warm welcome from the south of spain

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers,

Regarding the accident, I was really lucky; stopped at a yield onto a busy road when I heard an engine rev up behind me and out of the corner of my eye I saw the driver looking left for a gap while his 10 year old passenger, seeing what was about to happen, had eyes as big as pie plates. The bike was pushed and then tumbled so the damage is not extreme to any one part but a little everywhere so to speak. I've had my shoulder operated on and it's recovering really well; should be able to start wrenching on my bike and also get back to work soon. Blindstitch, no pictures at present.

The windjammer is toast; I'm going to go with a conventional headlight and turn signal arrangement. I'm thinking of taking a center to center measurement of the forks and see if I can adapt a newer unit, Honda or not, if I can't find a direct replacement; does that sound like q good idea? The rear turn signal light won't be a problem to replace. The left exhaust is toast, the can, so I'll have to replace those but then again there is no shortage of info here on that too. It would be nice if exhausts had a back pressure spec available so that it would be easy to match them up to stock. The thing that concerns me is the rear wheel, I believe that's what took the brunt of the force. When I've ran the bike on the stand this winter, I see that the rear wheel seems very slightly out of true; both side to side and in the radius. I'm going to check the rear spindle run out with a dial gauge and hope that it will be as simple as replacing that alone; I'm thinking the cast wheel would of given before the spindle though. Everything else, foot shift lever, brake actuator arm etc, can be straightened by hand or by vice; besides a small scrape on the one curved exhaust pipe she'll be shiny and good to go.

Bandit, you're close to my birth place; Loule in the Algarve, Portugal. I've been back there a few times and even had a chance to tour around Costa del Sol and Morocco many many moons ago.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hey,thats close to here.shep spent some good nights playing in portugal,if your ever back this way,look me up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CXPHREAK, that comment of yours reminded me of a morning last fall. I woke to a slightly strange but not totally offensive aroma from my kitchen. As I walked in I saw the can of Hereford Brand sitting peeled open atop the garbage can; it was one of those things that had survived many moves and for some reason had managed to stay in my possession unopened, sitting on the shelf from way back in the early 80's. My girlfriend had decided to cook me breakfast that morning and had found the Hereford Brand; she was standing there smiling, presenting me with Hereford and eggs and I just couldn't stop laughing. Anyways, it's demise will not be so harsh now that it's memory will live on in my avatar pic......thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome Walkin from Leduc AB. Getting a bit of snow are ya? Hey if you need anything, call me up here, I have a few

spare parts and bits and such.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma, home of very, very few of the CX/GL 500/650 bikes. Plenty of Goldwings around here but very few of ours so they draw attention like a magnet. Nobody pays any attention to the Harleys as they abound, but it isn't unusual to find a crowd around a twisted twin. Even the Harley people tend to love them as the have either owned, or knew someone that owned one in the past.

Stories abound about the reliability and just how powerful they were, they have never called mine a "rice burner" either. There appears to be a lot of respect for these and you can stuff the new models of anything else into the "buy and keep paying for it" basket for all I can care. What we have here is the Rolls Royce of bikes.

If you need any parts we may have extras or know exactly where to get them.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'm thinking of

Bandit, you're close to my birth place; Loule in the Algarve, Portugal. I've been back there a few times and even had a chance to tour around Costa del Sol and Morocco many many moons ago.

Some of my fondest memories are of Portugal.Spending Friday or Saturday nights one Summer at the street parties atop the Mountains of Monchique drinking illegal,"Still-made" Madronia and Vinho Verde

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.