Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster, just joined today. A month or so ago I traded some groceries to my father-in-law for a 1982 Silverwing GL500i that he bought a few years ago. He got the bike from a co-worker who had it sitting in her backyard for years without being ridden or maintained. Come to find out from these boards that this is a common outcome for these bikes. Well, he was having an issue with the front brakes locking up and rather than pay someone $400 to fix it, he let it sit. Well, I told him I'd take it off his hands and a deal was made. I quickly found this site and after much reading and digging I found the answer to the front brake mystery. The small hole in the MC under the reservoir was gunked up. So, I already have to say thanks to the members of this forum for help! This is the third bike I've owned and the first one that I will have to do some major work on. The bike runs well but needs some serious TLC. Since I got the bike for basically nothing, I've decided that this is the perfect opportunity to learn as much as I can and make it my project bike. My ultimate goal is to modify it into a bobber like many others have done. Hopefully with the help of this board, family and friends I'll be able to be cruising in style next riding season. As of right now I use this bike as a commuter to and from work. So any major modifications will have to wait. First and foremost I plan to remove the front fairing to make the bike look a little more respectable. haha Any questions, comments, tips or tricks will be appreciated and are encouraged! Attached are some pics of the beast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When you start stripping stuff to make the bob, don't throw away the parts. You can sell them here or on ebay to make some cash. There are plenty of people here (including me--hint hint) that would buy them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@50gary - Yeah, that was my initial idea and I still might go the ratbike route. But I just love the look of bobbers. So, we'll see what happens.

@Ddubya - I will not throw anything away and thanks for the heads up. If you are interested in anything off of my bike that isn't essential, PM me and let me know.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Welcome to the CX/GL500 forum and congratulations on your new bike. These bikes are great raw material for a bobber or rat bike. Have seen a number of them that are neat-o.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I have seen lots of awesome looking bikes on this website that have given me many different ideas. Hopefully over the winter I'll be able to put some of them into action. But before I do any of that I have a lot of reading and learning to do.

Welcome to the CX/GL500 forum and congratulations on your new bike. These bikes are great raw material for a bobber or rat bike. Have seen a number of them that are neat-o.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I haven't updated this thread in forever has live has been so busy that I haven't had time to do anything on the bike. I did get a start on the rebuild the other day. I took off the front fairing, both seats, helmet holders, front foot rests. It is all sitting in my garage while I try to figure out what to do with it. Before I do any further mods I need to figure out why the bike won't start. I tried to start it the other day, turned the key to on, all the lights came on, hit the start button and heard a pop/click and then the lights shutoff and now I have nothing working. I am using this bike rebuild as a way to learn so I'm thinking that this could be a fuse? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this type of stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Great list Shep, much appreciated. After reading on of your links, I'm wondering if the starter solenoid went bad as I heard a click when I tried to start it. I'll check that and report back.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
dre09,

If you need help you can always ride over to Appleton for some help or just PM me and get my real email address and phone number.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,479 Posts
Great list Shep, much appreciated. After reading on of your links, I'm wondering if the starter solenoid went bad as I heard a click when I tried to start it. I'll check that and report back.
Sounds like a flat battery. Was it on a tender over the winter?

Check that first.

R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.