Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 650 is happiest,rpm wise, at speeds below 70mph. I was on an interstate hiway yesterday and did not feel comfortable cruising at 70+ mph. I was glad to get off the interstate and return to 55 mph. It didn't feel right to me and I feel better cruising at 55. Then I asked myself why do I want to get on interstate hiways anyways so I took the long way home and enjoyed every minute of it !!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't disagree. 100KMH (or about 63MPH) is about the highest speed I would like to travel if doing any sustained highway driving. Around 55MPH is nicer.

But the problem in Toronto is that if you're commuting on the inner city freeways, often the best option when considering time and gas savings, you've got to be prepared to go 115 - 125 KMH or risk being a problem for other vehicles who are travelling at these speeds. Seems like anyone doing 100 KMH is in the minority these days.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Traffic sure can be intimidating. In the Atlanta area, specially inside the perimeter or on the perimeter. You run 70+ mph or run the risk of getting run over. It seems like at least once a month you hear of someone getting hit, and killed, from behind at night up there. I will run 70 - 80 mph with them during the day, but try to stay away off the interstate at night. Thankfully, my Silverwing rides like a cloud north of 65 mph.

I am in absolute agreement that the smaller 'back roads and highways' are the way to go. What a way to relax!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am on vacation this week, sorting out The Mach 5, preparing to trial him as a daily commuter. My current route is to ride the I30 westbound to I35E soutbound, then the 67 split. This is all heavily traveled, with about 50% HOV lane. I see bikes on this stretch of road all of the time. I leave early enough in the morning that traffic is decent. Coming home is another story. However, I will actually feel safer as I pass through downtown, exchanging between I35E northbound and I30 eastbound. The traffic is moving much slower through here and the HOV opens up before the traffic thins out and speeds up.

We'll see. I have been on my bike enough to know that 70 is about as fast as I will want to ride. 55-60 is much better, especially until I can spring for a windshield.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Agree with Johnny, he just forgot that while everyone is doing 120KPH, it usually quickly drops to 15KPH in a few "choice spots". I think if I was able to plot, explain, and predict the 401 traffic pattern, I would probabaly be awarded a Nobel prise plus the medal of Canada LOL. I HATE the major 4XX hyways and when I ride its on the empty 80KPH roads up near Johnny's neck of the woods and north-east. I like enjoying a ride, hate spending 100% concentration on the old ass in front that you KNOW is just about to do something really stupid (and 99% of the time, he DOES lol). Give me the open farm roads ..... would rather deal with dear and moose, they are far smarter and more predictable that idiot drives ...... plus, they dont sue LMAO

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree Rogerb. My 500 feels best to me at 50mph. The new Kawi versys I rode for a couple days recently seemed very unhappy at 50 mph so I let it stretch for a bit. New technology is nice. Now I want to try some

other makes/models and really get a feel for what I am missing. Not to worry though as the sticker shock will never allow me to buy something new. I do wonder if these new machines will still be in service 30 years from now. Time will tell.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My bike feels like it loves going 70-90 mph! My passing power at those speeds isn't as great as a modern bike, but fast enough to surprise me half of the time. I've left a few other bikes in the dust, and I don't think a single car has ever challenged me and won, other than some kids (and I use that term sparingly. Being 20, there aren't too many people younger than me XD) in a convertible Mustang going well over 100 mph on the interstate. Though needless to say, within a mile of them passing me, I see them on the shoulder, with a state trooper stepping out of his car hehe.

I hate interstate riding for long distances, and hell I hate it for short distances too, but I can at least try to make it fun if I'm doing a 50 mile jaunt or something. Tomorrow and the next day I have to go to Orlando for work, which is a 100 mile round trip on the interstate...and in rush hour traffic no doubt. I'm going to get frustrated, but I'm going to find plenty of opportunity to have fun. The engine just seems so "alive" at the higher speeds. It's loud, and it's "screaming" but doesn't nearly sound like it's struggling.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Guys,

Out west it can be scary going anything less than the posted speed limit, or at least staying up with the flow when there is a lot of traffic. When there is a cager doing 52 in a 60 zone in one of the middle lanes of I-5 (especially when the flow is 65 mph), people have to weave and dart from lane to lane around that person and creates, what I call, a "zone of chaos" Personally, I try not to go above 75 when traffic is moving that fast and I am perfectly comfy going 45 - 50 on the two lane state highways. I like going a little slower because of the danger of blind people turning in front of you coming out of their driveways.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I agree that the bike just feels better at 55 mph. But maybe that's because it's been a long time since I've ridden some thing as small as a 500 and I'm not used to the rpm's at 70mph. It's not a fear thing or a stability thing, just the "feel" of the bike.

But I really try to avoid interstates anyway and I rarely have to take my bike out on trips that require it. I almost always plan my time so as to take back roads even if it adds a considerable amount of time to the trip. I mean, riding is fun so why would I be in a hurry to finish?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I agree with all those who say they prefer backroads to interstate, the interstate is boring! Having said that, I take the interstate to and from work 5 days a week and generally average between 70 to 80 mph for the 15 or so miles I'm on it. It's the most direct way to go and I really don't want to extend the amount of time needed to go home at the end of the day. At 70 mph I feel the bike is perfectly happy, doesn't feel strained at all. My speedo only goes to 80, so that's my top speed no matter what is happening. It's nice knowing that at 70 I have plenty of passing power still available to me. In many ways the interstate is actually safer than back roads, at least during the day. No cars turning left out in front of you, no people running stoplights, no dogs, kids, deer, or other hazards (most of the time) jumping out at you. As long as you stay a safe distance from the semi's and big rigs you'll be good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just outright bought another bike so that I could be safe and comfortable on the freeway. My CX has new leaks and rattles every time I do freeway riding on it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I made the trip from Buffalo To Pittsburgh last year to bring my bike down here to where I live. The bike did absolutely amazing at an indicated 70-75mph (speedometer reads lower than actual speed probably closer to 80mph) with a few stretches I burried the 85Mph speedo. The bike was constantly begging for more! It did great until 70 miles from Pittsburgh The stator burned up! high speed windings went out and would only drive 50mph. Thank GOD for the great people at AAA they probably saved my life... I would have drove the rest of the way home but didnt want to be some 18wheeler hood ornament...

Recreational vehicle coverage GET IT! The tow was no charge! (Although I slipped the man $30 for going so far out of his way I told him to get a nice dinner)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I made the trip from Buffalo To Pittsburgh last year to bring my bike down here to where I live. The bike did absolutely amazing at an indicated 70-75mph (speedometer reads lower than actual speed probably closer to 80mph) with a few stretches I burried the 85Mph speedo. The bike was constantly begging for more! It did great until 70 miles from Pittsburgh The stator burned up! high speed windings went out and would only drive 50mph. Thank GOD for the great people at AAA they probably saved my life... I would have drove the rest of the way home but didnt want to be some 18wheeler hood ornament...

Recreational vehicle coverage GET IT! The tow was no charge! (Although I slipped the man $30 for going so far out of his way I told him to get a nice dinner)

How much and how many miles does it cover? My insurance provides flatbed towing on the CXTS but it only covers 10 miles. I have no towing on the Busa and probably should have something for all the traveling I do.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Personally I prefer the interstates over the rural state and county 2 lane highways.

The bike has NO issues with the higher speed....rides nice and smooth.

I PREFER the interstate simply because to me it is MUCH more relaxing as you don't have to constantly worry about someone pulling out from a cross street or highway or gravel road....everyone is going the same direction, the road is definately MUCH smoother and the lanes are much wider. To me it's just more relaxing.

Now that being said I'm 60 miles out of the KC metro area so the traffic is light and easy most of the time......not sure I'd feel the same way on I-435 going around the city with all the traffic.

So I'll just say I prefer RURAL interstates to anything else.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL Well rickbert, glad you clarified it in the last section lol We have roads like that here, but none of them are what we call interstates (like our 400 series highways), most are just labled as road numbers and can go from single lane 50KPH to multi lane 90 KPH ones. I like these ones myself, but even when they get to 4 lanes wide I dont myself class them as a "highway or interstate" (I think we have inter-provincial highways like the Trans Canada, but never seen it, except in pictures of it in some of our flat provences .... and being a single lane)

I would not mind riding any major highway .... as long as the thing was empty .....

My rule of thumb for today;

"When your on your bike, every car driver out there is a comlete IDIOT, and IS out to get you. He WILL do really dumb ass crap, but will always wait until YOU are close to enjoy it"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.