Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting idea on building a spring compressor for disassembling shocks, from the French CX site.

Does anyone know what this "stripper" is that he refers to?

I'd consider building one, if I can identify and locate this component.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I saw that yesterday on the french site to! That is a flywheel puller, gear puller. Harbour Freight cheap.

Harbour Freight also has a Strut Spring Compressor tool for $10.00 thats the same thing. Also made by Pittsburgh, so if it ever breaks, you can take it to harbour Frieght and they will exchange it on the spot. Lifetime.I have one I never took it out of the box yet
Want a picture?

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I would do differently is to run the threaded rods completely through the lower clamp and peen the ends. That would prevent them backing out as the nuts are backed off.

R

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that yesterday on the french site to! That is a flywheel puller, gear puller. Harbour Freight cheap.
Thanks, Nate. I'll look for some.

R

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Randall, What he's using is a bearing splitter or crank bearing remover. Here is one type that Harbor Freight Tools carries. But I'm sure some of the discount auto stores may have them too.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At $30 each, I wouldn't call it cheap, but I know what it is now.

I'll see what Northern Tool and eBay have.

R

EDIT: Ha! Larry beat me to it.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Northern Tools price is the same as HF.

It already has the tapped holes, though.

R

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm noticing that size and price vary quite a bit. The ones from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool that I linked above are certainly too small.

I think the OTC 1122 is probably the right size to build a compressor for our monoshocks.

Max. Spread 2"

Min. Spread 1/8"

Thread of tapped holes in adapter 3/8"–18.

Distance between adjusting screws 2-7/16".

Average price appears to be around $45. Low price around $30.

R

·
Registered
3,517 Posts

Harbour Freight also has a Strut Spring Compressor tool for $10.00 thats the same thing. Also made by Pittsburgh, so if it ever breaks, you can take it to harbour Frieght and they will exchange it on the spot. Lifetime.I have one I never took it out of the box yet
Want a picture?

I picked one of those up at a flea market a decade or so ago. Never used it, there's always a better (real) tool handy. I think that's why I can still count to 10 using my fingers. The claws look a little large to use on a CX spring. I've got some old shocks around, I'll give it a try out of curiosity to see if it works.

The bigger question would be, why would anyone bother with standard CX shocks, unless you have another project for them. I gave a couple sets to a friend of mine who put 4 of them on the rear of his racing golf cart, he's happy with them.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bigger question would be, why would anyone bother with standard CX shocks, unless you have another project for them.
I run a set of GL1100 air shocks on the Grub, which may need rebuilding sometime. I also plan to use a Yamaha Warrior quad monoshock of my GL dual-sport project. I don't know yet whether it will need to be resprung.

This would also be handy for anyone rebuilding a Silverwing monoshock.

R

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good to see that the HF tool could work and that it's cheap enough. While I haven't totally explored the possibility, a lot of the chain auto parts stores have tools to rent (or for free, after the deposit is returned; can't remember which at the moment) if you didn't want to shell out the buck for an expe$ive tool. But $10.00?!?!?

Another note: I saw at home depot a strap wrench for about $9 in the plumbing department. Bought it when picking up plumbing parts. It went straight to the moto tool box for the next "triple bypass". Now if I don't loose it or misplace it, I have one on hand!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.