Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just barely bought a 1979 cx500 custom that wouldn't start when I got it. It had no battery, but even jump starting it wouldn't work. I put in a new main fuse holder and fuse (thanks to some tips from this forum), and it fired right up, all the lights and everything working just fine.

However, the next day when I got a battery in it, it decided not to start, or have any power at all. The fuse was still good, and neither of my connections for the holder was bad. I redid them anyway cause they were kind of sloppy and still nothing. After fooling with it for a while, I settled on the ignition switch. I remembered the previous owner said it had been replaced with one from another bike, and discovered that the switch actually only had 5 pins (from a gl?).

Since I wanted it going, I figured out which pins connected when, then pulled apart the plastic harness connector (I'll need a new one, the plastic is all degraded. Where do I get one?) and made a switched connection between the red and black wires with the ignition switch. Now it starts and runs, but only the front lights come on. I connected the brown and brown/white wires to try and get the tail lights, but still nothing. I think it just needs cleaning, though.

The weird thing is that when I flip the turn signal to the right, it goes from having the front one on (solid, not blinking), to having the back on (solid, not blinking). On the left, the front light is missing, (I already ordered a replacement), and nothing happens with the back one when the switch is flipped to the left. Will getting the brown and brown/white wires connected right fix this? Or is there something in the wiring I'm missing?

I'm pretty new to working on motorcycles, so I could use any tips at all for this specific bike, especially with the wiring. The other problem I have is when I have got it running, it won't idle.

Thanks for any help, sorry if this post seems too aimless. I guess I'm really just looking for tips on getting this bike back into running shape after a few years not running.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"The weird thing is that when I flip the turn signal to the right, it goes from having the front one on (solid, not blinking), to having the back on (solid, not blinking)"

That is the condition when you do not have a good ground. Solid but no blink. Or your flasher is toast. I had one fry.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
With regards to your signals, get a good bulb wired and grounded on each corner of the bike and replace the flasher if need be. Clean all connectors, bulbs and sockets and coat with dielectric grease. Keep in mind that the front signals are usually dual filament and the rears are single. That gives you running/signal lights on the front and just plain signals on the rear. I like the elctronic flasher relays from any auto supply, you can get a 2 pole one that's the same diameter and the electronic ones don't rely on all the bulbs being present, or working, in order to flash. And they're less that $10.

Try the bay (or here) for an ignition switch. Plug & play beats frustrating roadside repairs hands down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok that sounds about like what I thought the problem might be. Is there just the one ground under the seat behind the battery or is there another on I should clean? I'll probably end up cleaning all the contacts everywhere just so it's more reliable. And when the bike is on the headlight, taillight, and front signals should be on? no back signals? I have found a few ignition switches I could use on ebay, but was hoping I could get just the bottom for it and replace that. Does anyone know where to get those?

All the fuses are good still, but today I actually lost power again. Bad ground? or would that be attributed to the ignition switch? I thought that if I at least had the red and black connected I should be getting power to the front and the engine. Thanks for the service manual link, that should help. One other thing I forgot to mention is that even when I was getting power, it took just a second for the lights to come on after turning the key to switch them on.

Thanks for the help, this is a great forum for a great bike.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All lights should be on except for the rear turn sigs. Unless the turn sig is on they should be off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, now I've got consistent power (hotwiring it, I'll get a new switch as soon as I can) after some time with a file and a wire brush on a dremel. All lights come on except the rear signals (and the missing front signal of course), all the warning/dash lights and the speedo and tach lights come on, and the starter works and is getting power. Now for the new found problems.

The brake light won't come on. I checked the light using just a simple circuit and it's not the bulb. I assume it's a connection in the wiring again.

The turn signals still won't flash. I think it's the flasher. The green ground under the seat is nice and clean, and it must be good because the taillight comes on (am i right here?). When you first flip the switch you can actually hear the flasher click once. My question is, where do I get one? Is that something they'll have at an auto parts store?

Where do I get one of the white plastic 6 pin insulators for the ignition switch? Mine is trashed, and I'll need a new one.

And now that I'm wanting to start it, it won't. It'll crank but won't turn over. I'm new to petcocks, but i had it flipped to on. It seems to be fuel related, and I hope it's not electrical. Also, my throttle is sticking. Would some wd-40 down on the spring help? Or is that a bad idea?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.