Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reached out to a manufacture in Illinois that builds custom triple trees, for metric bikes. I asked for a set of 35mm, 5° rake. Price to follow.
I'm hoping to get a bit more room between my radiator and front fender on my lowered forks. Plus, it will parallel the front panel of my fuel tank.
Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
97 Posts
I reached out to a manufacture in Illinois that builds custom triple trees, for metric bikes. I asked for a set of 35mm, 5° rake. Price to follow.
I'm hoping to get a bit more room between my radiator and front fender on my lowered forks. Plus, it will parallel the front panel of my fuel tank.
View attachment 214359
With the fork at full compression, does the fender hit the horn? If it doesn’t it must get real close. Might be worth checking.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,688 Posts
I notice that you also posted this in a 7 year old thread about using products like this to decrease the trail of a trike.

I described what so-called "raked" clamps actually do in that thread
Ok, to start with rake is the angle of the steering head, not the forks. Moving the bottom end of the forks forward makes it look like the rake has been increased but it actually decreases the trail., which is what you need anyway.

Trail is designed into solo bike frames to increase stability at speed, which is fine when you can steer by leaning but it makes it harder to steer when you turn it into a trike or add a sidecar.
Note that we were talking specifically about reducing the trail for use with 3 wheels. On 2 wheels decreasing the trail too much can make the steering twitchy at speed.

You know what I'm going to say the real solution is: If you raise the clamps you have on the forks to where they should be your clearance problems will go away without costing you anything. AND it will handle better. And your tank will drain properly (the end with the petcock should always be lower).
This sounds like a win-win-win-win solution to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts