Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I was adjusting the throttle cable a bit on the bike as I wasn't getting much grab on the clutch. The cable itself has seen better days, so I just ordered a replacement. However, I noticed that after the bike warms up, it idles at 1500 to 1600 RPMs. I did some searching on the forum and a couple of folks mentioned the intake manifolds. I looked at mine, and they had some sealant on the rubber. I did the WD40 trick, and sure enough, the rubber is just plain bad. I'd like to replace them. I searched the web, and I saw some on eBay and Amazon that were quite inexpensive. Nothing says GL500, but same engine, same parts, I reckoned. Anyhow, has anyone used them, and is it worth $20, at least for now? These are the ones I'm referring to.

Or, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
CX500 intakes will not fit your GL500. AFAIK no one is making intakes for the GL500. You have two choices, find good used ones or repair yours. A suggested repair is to use heat shrink tube to cover the rubber. An alternative is a section of bicycle inner tube and there is always Shoe Goo.

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
i have new gl500 and gl650 manifolds made

they use a welded aluminum intake like my carb kits with a vm36 replaceable rubber intake spigot

i am just getting ready to some stock built up and ported as well as pictures done for my website

they are not as cheap a solution as the cast and vulcanized ones but the dies and production run for those is to costly

with little chance of using a batch of 1000 sets in my lifetime

so these will be in the 120 per set range but a lifetime product you can even powder coat or polish them

they are simple to install you dont remove the carbs to do it

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I used heat shrink tubing on my old things intakes years ago and its still good which surprised me I expected it to peel or decay
within a year or so.
I only changed them because the new intakes ( for ZABs not GLs) were so cheap

I reckon if you get a some of 60-55mm diameter glue lined heat shrink it'll slip on nicely
and do until/unless you want to throw money at it

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should be very careful with buying intake manifolds on services like Amazon and eBay. I, too, once needed intake manifolds on a rare engine model. You couldn't buy them in a regular store, so I had to look for such items on Amazon and eBay. It's worth saying, for starters, that scammers on Amazon can cheat you out of a steep amount of money even if you buy these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081TQ3L2Y super cheap yoga socks. And I knew that by the time I started looking for intake manifolds. It was very difficult. I went through 9 circles of hell until I finally found a pretty good deal for me that didn't try to scam me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts