Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know where I can get new rubber boots or how to repair them for an 82 GL500? mine are cracked to hell so I have small leaks right at the carb necks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had the same problem with mine.
I used a combined method :)
1/ Fill cracks with "shoe goo".
Then when that had set,
2/ Got some large heat shrink tubing, covered the boots with that, then used the oven on low (Do NOT tell my wife!) to get it too shrink and tightly cover the boot.
It appears to have worked well with mine.
John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I have a bunch of heat shrink, but its no bigger than 10mm in diameter. did you do anything special on the inside of the manifold neck to better seal on the carbs?

What size tubing did you use? 1 1/2" - 40mm?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did not need to do anything on the inside of them, even though a couple of the cracks were right through.
I made sure the ShoeGoo was squeezed right in to the cracks before I let it set.
The heat shrink was about 100mm, with a 2 to 1 shrink ratio, so it ended up as a tight fit on the boot after I had shrunk it.
I could probably have used 90mm, but could not get that in black at the time.
John.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I put about 10 good coats of plastidip which was about an entire can. It worked great and looks awesome as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rawtrax or midwestmk2,
do you have pictures of the final product? I'm looking into redoing my intake boots.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
fix them how ever you can or if you are stuck pm me

i spoke to david silvers last week

this week i am sending him a set of gl500 and a set of 650 intakes and when he gets them he will send them off to the people

that make the cx500 ones for him so if we can keep them patched and working for a while

soon we will be able to buy new ones again!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is one thing I really like about David Silvers, he will at least have a look and try.
John.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I can get a decent picture I will post it up here.
John.

·
Registered
398 Posts
GL650,2 years and counting ,mine were not cracked,put the heat shrink on for protection against UV etc.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
213 Posts
That looks neater than mine.
And your engine is cleaner :).
But it surely works well and is replaceable in the future.
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.