Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Hagerty only insures bikes to 1981... my GL is an '83 and I don't feel like paying 2-300 dollars again this year for basic insurance... not even full coverage. Anybody have any great lines on classic motorcycle insurance companies that will handle my '83 and not need to mail me some sort of lubrication product for the A** Ra*ing that I shall receive? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
State Farm is only about $13 when i started with my gl500i ...

When I switched to my cx650 it was about the same,

..but I must have hit an Old Fart discount cause my last few statements were under $9 per month...

they have an individual policy for each vehicle, and if I wanted to insure 2 bikes, that would be per each...

??? anyone have a policy to insure yourself regardless of the # of bikes you have?... You can only ride one at a time...

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
With Progressive (by Ameriprise) my 82CX500 is $86/year, and for Rampsbaby's 88VT1000 Shadow it's $155/year. We have liability for property and bodily, as well as underinsured property and motorist, and medical. Not bad in my book.

*edited.....Thats $7.17 for the CX/mo, and $12.92 for the Shadow/mo.*

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
842 Posts
So... Hagerty only insures bikes to 1981... my GL is an '83 and I don't feel like paying 2-300 dollars again this year for basic insurance... not even full coverage. Anybody have any great lines on classic motorcycle insurance companies that will handle my '83 and not need to mail me some sort of lubrication product for the A** Ra*ing that I shall receive? Thanks in advance.

$2-300 a year for a GL?

I pay State Farm well under $300 a year for full coverage on the Busa. If I dropped to liability it would be around $80.

Places like Hagerty are not a general insurers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
State Farm is only about $13 when i started with my gl500i ...

When I switched to my cx650 it was about the same,

..but I must have hit an Old Fart discount cause my last few statements were under $9 per month...

they have an individual policy for each vehicle, and if I wanted to insure 2 bikes, that would be per each...

??? anyone have a policy to insure yourself regardless of the # of bikes you have?... You can only ride one at a time...

Yes. I pay Hagerty one liability premium for three vehicles. The rest of the full coverage agreed value is dependent on the value of each vehicle.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Something you guys may not realize is that Crash and I live in Michigan. We have the highest insurance premiums in the country, AFAIK. I just got my annual bill yesterday and it was $456.00 for an 81and an 82 GL. That's for PL/PD with multi-vehicle discount as well as a discount for passing the MSF course. Insurance rates suck here.
Something that amuses me is the fact that Michigan has the highest unemployment rate as well as the highest insurance rates. BOHICA. Hey, at least we have the Detroit Lions.

·
Registered
507 Posts
For me without having my motorcycle endorsement, just my permit, it is 80 dollars a month for state minimum from progressive.

I thought if I added a second bike it might be a little less for the second bike but it was basically 80 a pice.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Something you guys may not realize is that Crash and I live in Michigan.

Stubby I'm there with you. Just sent back my paperwork for jury duty. I would have never came to Wisconsin if Michigan wasn't taking such a hit. In hindsight I should have went somewhere else.

Maybe there's a reason why everyone else goes to the dmv and we go to the SOS.

·
Registered
313 Posts
just for giggles, I went to Hagerty's website... 3 bikes driven 3000 miles each for a total policy in Oregon

(same for 20,000 miles each)

Policy coverages

Hagerty clients typically select coverages and limits that match those of their regular use/daily driver policy.

$44 Liability $100000 / $300000 (Per Person/Per Accident)

$14 Liability - PD $100000 (Per Accident)

$0 Medical Payments Declined (Per Person/Per Accident)

$0 Personal Injury Protection Declined (Per Person/Per Accident)

$20 Uninsured Motorist $100000 / $300000 (Per Person/Per Accident)

$2 Uninsured Motorists Property Damage $20000 (Per Accident)

$0 Motorcycle Passenger Liability $100000 / $300000 (Per Person/Per Accident)

Vehicle information

1983 HONDA CX650 - guaranteed value: $3,500 (<<<----- minimum amount allowed)

$16 Other than collision $0 Deductible

$31 Collision $0 Deductible

1981 HONDA GL500I - guaranteed value: $3,500

1982 HONDA GL500 - guaranteed value: $3,500

This was quoted at $221... When I reduced to 50,000/100,000 it saves only $16... then reduced to just 2 bikes $162

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Ouch. I just did the Hagerty Insurance.

Once for total stock kept in a garage and 10,000 miles and the quote was $285

Then Modified and the quote was $289.

MI State Assessment: Standard $144 That's probably extra important information that raises it over other states. With that it won't be under $12 a month.

I'm sticking with State Farm.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just selected .com to .ca for Canadian Hagerty insurance. In Canada they only provide insurance for boats WTF>???

So, I selected across the river to register my CX - as if I lived in Port Huron Mi. they quoted $209 for full coverage to their maximum limits (500,000 liability) that's less than 1/2 of what my present Canadian company offers, except you can select 1M or 2M liability coverage - it's up to you.

Damn... I hate insurance companies.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently reside with farm bureau who has decent rates on auto and home, but farms out motorcycle to other companies.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hagerty does not technically go by a set of rules engraved in stone. Automated online quotes are next to worthless. When you call about a policy and talk to a human things are different. They WILL research the value of your bike and if they can't find examples of it being worth what you claim it's worth, they'll politely tell you to pound sand. They ask for detailed pictures of the vehicle. They ask for pictures of the garage that it must be kept in. They check your driving record. They research your neighborhood. They check your credit rating. They typically won't insure you if you have more than two minor tickets or a licensed driver under the age of 25 living in your household.

If you already have a vintage vehicle insured with them you get more leeway in other vehicles you can insure.

When you talk to an agent, that person (man or woman) actually knows cars and motorcycles. They really REALLY know what their talking about and you won't scam your way into a policy. Also when I call from home or my cell they greet me by name and already have my policy at hand through caller id on their computers.

They say '81 and older yet happily insure my newer turbos.

My policy which includes the 500T, 650T and Corvette Stingray is about $340 A YEAR for all combined. $300K liabilities, zero deductible, under insured, uninsured, spare parts coverage and of course the agreed value I have set on each vehicle. That also includes the extra I pay for emergency road side assistance with flat bed towing.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
$340 a year for 2 turbos and a Corvette? Holy crap!

79 CX is $212/yr

78 GL1000 is $224/yr

83 YB100 is $190/yr

08 1200GT is $594/yr

PLUS $54.00 each per year for plates.

All have $1,000,000 public liability and property damage, only the GT has fire/theft/collision.

And you guys/gals think you pay alot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just insured a GL650I with State Farm for $102/year. My '82 CM450 is only $52/year. Of course, all my other vehicles, homeowners, life insurance are with State Farm also. So there are multi-policy discounts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You Canucks have it rough. I insure 2 cars and one bike and rental insurance for ~$850 a year. And it keeps going down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We are paying $110 each (per year) for our '81 and '82 Silverwings with Indiana Farm Bureau. This is state minimum liability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts