Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum.

I have an '83 CX650E. Have ridden it for four seasons and it was starting to run really rough and it was getting harder to start. Noticed that there are cracks in both Insulators so they need to be replaced. I have duct taped them for now and the bike runs much better. But all attempts to locate parts has proven futile. Any ideas? The part numbers are: 16221-ME2-000 and 16211-ME2-000, left and right respectfully.

Also, I just replaced the solenoid to help with starting issues and now the starter button no longer works. Push it and get nothing. All lights are working, main fuse seems fine. I can engage the starter motor by crossing the solenoid. Bike starts well. Put the old solenoid back on but still the starter does not work. Is there another fuse that I may have blown?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Artie. When you push the starter button, does the headlight go out? It should. You may have to open up the switch clamshell and liberally douse the switch with electrical contact cleaner. Then work the button in and out a couple of dozen times. If this doesn't work, it may be time to remove the switch itself and open it up for cleaning. Not especially difficult, just keep a clean towel underneath to catch any small parts that may drop out.

The second area may be a bad ignition switch that isn't allowing voltage to the starter switch. You may have to do a bit of tracing to see what is up there. A multimeter or test lamp is very useful for this.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Sorry I missed the starting problem.You may have disturbed a weak positive wire.

Check the Wiring Diagram for your model in the manual or one of these might be close,give you an idea,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=176

Remember when you press the starter a small current is applied to one side of the Starter solenoid that closes the larger contacts from the battery to the starter.

As BF says also a badly crudded up Starter button can cause no end of problems as can a Main fuse holder so change that ASAP as per,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27

·
Registered
168 Posts
I may have another set of those available but I will have to check in the shed. Otherwise I can check with my used motorcycle shop. I know he has a used 650 he is parting out. What is your price limit or give me a cell phone to call you up when I get there. I should be driving by tomorrow afternoon.

I am from Quebec and that should make shiping to you easier.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you have to ask...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
And an update on the inner tube fix. I does work quite well but it only seems to last a season before the rubber starts to break down. This year I went back to my previous fix, which worked well too, coating the boots inside and out with black silicone sealant. Just smear it on and, I just lick my finger but you could just dip your finger in a dishsoap solution, smooth it out with moistened finger. (this just stops the goo from sticking to you)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
And an update on the inner tube fix. I does work quite well but it only seems to last a season before the rubber starts to break down. This year I went back to my previous fix, which worked well too, coating the boots inside and out with black silicone sealant. Just smear it on and, I just lick my finger but you could just dip your finger in a dishsoap solution, smooth it out with moistened finger. (this just stops the goo from sticking to you)

That RTV does tend to break down over time with the fuel I've found.Try Shoo Goo next time

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shoe-Repair-Sho...391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf7732e7f

It is more resistant to fuel and dries really really quick

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was worried about the black stuff breaking down too as I'd smeared it inside and out but after 2 years the stuff inside is holding up ok. I thoroughly degreased, cleaned and dried them before applying it and I carefully feathered it out with a wet finger and it isn't showing any signs of breaking up and getting sucked into the motor yet, which was my primary concern. The stuff on the outside didn't fare so well, hence the inner tube fix, probably due to exposure to UV, weather and radiant heat from the head. I suspect that the inside of the boot is cooler due to the constant inrush of air but I've not actually tested that theory.

I'm going to try the shoe goo next time for sure; besides, my boots could use some help...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I was worried about the black stuff breaking down too as I'd smeared it inside and out but after 2 years the stuff inside is holding up ok. I thoroughly degreased, cleaned and dried them before applying it and I carefully feathered it out with a wet finger and it isn't showing any signs of breaking up and getting sucked into the motor yet, which was my primary concern. The stuff on the outside didn't fare so well, hence the inner tube fix, probably due to exposure to UV, weather and radiant heat from the head. I suspect that the inside of the boot is cooler due to the constant inrush of air but I've not actually tested that theory.

I'm going to try the shoe goo next time for sure; besides, my boots could use some help...

It's kept my boots going as they are now 6 years old.Akito stopped making these ones and they are the only ones I really like with Velcro fasteners,not zips.I cannot stand zips on riding boots

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought my bike with cracked boots, and they were fine up until I crashed and they cracked open enough that I saw them "breathing" as the engine ran. I was in the middle of Nowhere, Virginia when this happened. So I went to the nearest gas station, bought some juicy fruit, chewed it up...rubbed it around the cracks, and then covered it with duct tape. The bike ran better than it had ever ran in its life. I don't recommend doing this, but it really does work in a pinch. It occurred to me to try it because...well...I live in Polk County Fl. Enough said haha.

When I got home I just bought brand new ones from the Honda Shop and Bikebandit. You may want to check Bikebandit, though if your Honda shop can get them, even if they're a few bucks more expensive think about it this way: it's free 2 day shipping through Honda.

Though I just realized that you're on a CX650...so Shep's right, it might be a bit of trouble to find the parts.

Duct tape and bubblegum:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Thanks Shep. Will stop looking and will be fixing. In Canada we use Duct Tape on everything. Will try the glue
Originally introduced for the heat and air industry and adopted by the Canadian Hockey League only days later, duct tape .......

Seriously, before you put any glue or sealant on the rubber insulators go over the rubber with a Scotch-Brite pad clean off the surface oxidation and make the surface a bit grippier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.