Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500B
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i want to change my instrument panel from standard to a set of clocks from a GL500 only the plug is different the original is six pin and the replacement is eight / nine pin, are there any parts of the wiring that can be ignored or rewired? if so can anyone tell me how to rewire the plug.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
Rewiring the plug is pretty easy in that you will find that the colour codes should coincide.

If you take the cut and join path cut the wires in different spots so that the bundle of wires does not ending up looking like a python that just swallowed a pig. Best soldered with heat shrink.

Or buy new spades to fit the plug to be used.

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
From memory {I've recently had a set of C instruments in my hands} You have 2 instrument backlight globes in each instrument with paired wires going to each.

Then, in the tacho there is the temp. gauge and 2 wires run to this.

I can take a look if you also need the eedjit light binnacle.

·
Registered
1980 CX500B
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks your a star I will start rewiring tomorrow and if I get stuck I will let you know, knowing me I am properly over looking something obvious or overthinking it
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
On your CX500 the temperature gauge has two wires, one green with blue tracer which connects to the temperature sender and one yellow which connects to the 7 volt regulator. The 7 volt regulator in addition to the yellow wire has a ground, green wire, and power wire, black. Green, green with blue tracer and the black all connect to the wiring harness through the 6 pin connector block. On the GL500 the wires to the gauge are similar, however the 7 volt regulator has green, yellow and black with brown tracer. These wires do not feed through the 8 pin instrument cluster connector. At least that is what my Haynes manual diagram says.

Hello where do the wire's from the temp gauge go I have looked at the wiring diagrams and can't make sense of them

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
52 Posts
Why would you need to "cut & splice" wires between the 2 clusters?
I have not seen the plugs but if they are like most you should be able to get the pins out of the plugs and use them in the plug needed.

There are tools made to remove any pin or spade from a plug.
They are made to release the tab so the pin or pin out with out hurting them or the plug.
IIRC I got my tools from Summit Racing and work pretty good.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25228
Not the tolls I have but should do the same thing.
Dave ----

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
One uses 6.5 mm pins the other uses 4 mm. They do not swap between the connector blocks.

My tools are ground down sprinkler keys even though I have a set of about a hundred of the bought ones. The bought ones aren't well made.

Service Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Font

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
52 Posts
One uses 6.5 mm pins the other uses 4 mm. They do not swap between the connector blocks.

My tools are ground down sprinkler keys even though I have a set of about a hundred of the bought ones. The bought ones aren't well made.

View attachment 217158
Well that would be one reason you could not swap pins.
It was just a thought as I did not know of the size difference.
Dave ----

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
No worries.

I don't think the smaller terminals are 4 mm with a bit more time to think about it. They're actually smaller still. 3 mm?

Anyway, all of the components are the same and all of the colour coding will be a direct match.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,591 Posts
I can't say for the CX500 but the GL500 and the CX650E (& probably all TI models) as well as my GL1100 have 2.8mm Sumitomo type 9 pin connectors.
Honda used a lot of this type of connector in various pin numbers on these bikes and I like making electrical mods without butchering the original harness so I keep the terminals (male & female) and connector blocks in the more common pin numbers on hand. I bought the ones I currently have on eBay but if I was buying them now I'd use Aliexpress because the prices are generally lower and shipping usually faster.

·
Registered
1980 CX500B
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On your CX500 the temperature gauge has two wires, one green with blue tracer which connects to the temperature sender and one yellow which connects to the 7 volt regulator. The 7 volt regulator in addition to the yellow wire has a ground, green wire, and power wire, black. Green, green with blue tracer and the black all connect to the wiring harness through the 6 pin connector block. On the GL500 the wires to the gauge are similar, however the 7 volt regulator has green, yellow and black with brown tracer. These wires do not feed through the 8 pin instrument cluster connector. At least that is what my Haynes manual diagram says.
Thanks for the help but i give up i have wired everything but the black/brown wire, the green and yellow wires from the temp gauge and the dark blue wire and on the six pin plug i still have a green and what looks like black wires still to connect, as you may have guessed i not good with wiring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts