Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd never use one, too susceptible to puncture, way more so than the original. Plus the original basically recycles the filter body.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quick update. It's been about ten months with the Murray Oil Filter adapter. The engine is still running just fine. No filter housing explosions, and not One drop of oil lost. And as for the big Orange Wart on the front of the engine, it's one of the first things folks ask about. Harley guys who run remote filters, get it. And it does stand out. I get good comments about it and it matches the look of my Mad Max type of build.
So to reiterate, no leaks, no mess, no problems. I can truly state that I would recommend this product and procedure to anyone who hasnt tried it. If you are really concerned about the appearance you can get chrome filters as well.
Good product. Great deal. Heck of a nice guy.
Get one.
Thomas

·
Registered
528 Posts
Quick update. It's been about ten months with the Murray Oil Filter adapter. The engine is still running just fine. No filter housing explosions, and not One drop of oil lost. And as for the big Orange Wart on the front of the engine, it's one of the first things folks ask about. Harley guys who run remote filters, get it. And it does stand out. I get good comments about it and it matches the look of my Mad Max type of build.
So to reiterate, no leaks, no mess, no problems. I can truly state that I would recommend this product and procedure to anyone who hasnt tried it. If you are really concerned about the appearance you can get chrome filters as well.
Good product. Great deal. Heck of a nice guy.
Get one.
Thomas
I have to say that I have had the same experience with mine.

As far as appearance goes, though, if I was worried about it I wouldn't have a 78 tank and 81 front fender on my 79.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Which filter are you using? I've tried all the filters listed and the only one that doesn't cause the oil light to stay on longer than I'm comfortable with is the short Fram without the bypass (9100?). Worked fine on my Alaska trip but I'm a little wary of running without the bypass.
Quick update. It's been about ten months with the Murray Oil Filter adapter. The engine is still running just fine. No filter housing explosions, and not One drop of oil lost. And as for the big Orange Wart on the front of the engine, it's one of the first things folks ask about. Harley guys who run remote filters, get it. And it does stand out. I get good comments about it and it matches the look of my Mad Max type of build. So to reiterate, no leaks, no mess, no problems. I can truly state that I would recommend this product and procedure to anyone who hasnt tried it. If you are really concerned about the appearance you can get chrome filters as well. Good product. Great deal. Heck of a nice guy. Get one. Thomas

·
Registered
528 Posts
Which filter are you using? I've tried all the filters listed and the only one that doesn't cause the oil light to stay on longer than I'm comfortable with is the short Fram without the bypass (9100?). Worked fine on my Alaska trip but I'm a little wary of running without the bypass.
Mudflap?:confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Had to check my records, it was the PH30. If there were a small filter available like the PH30 but with a bypass, I'd gladly go back to using the adapter.
fram 9100 is a longer filter and does have the bypass it must have been something elseiuse the 9100 and paint it with black paint first lol

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have had the spin-on adapter on my 650ED for well over a year. I use long filters because they are available here , they do stick out more but I have not had any problems with leaks of punctures. Even in a crash where the bike got knocked over at 20 miles an hour - no problems.

I can recommend the conversion wholeheartedly.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
The spin on filter on my bike is doing well too. I run 3 bikes with the spin ons. The perks with a spin on filter is you can paint it to match your bike. If you're concerned about puncture i'm sure a cover can be installed or glue on a disc the size of the filter. And if you want that rat bike look i'm sure there's a boston bake beans can that will fit as a cover.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I chose the Fram P9100 Sure Grip filter. My oil light doesn't stay on longer than normal, and everything has worked perfectly. I should add here that you don't need to torque the oil filter to 12,000 lb/ft, just a quarter turn past the point where the oil filter o ring touches the mounting flange. That's it. Over tightening the filter only causes you problems removing it later.
Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
all the oilfilter reviews you read are biased and done by one company or another

there are now only a few companies that even make them

i have heard this and that argument forever from one person that hates this kind and loves the other

little did they know that both types are made in teh same plant on the same line

the bulk of all oil filters made in the us are made by champion labs

ac delco makes most of there own still but most ac delco filters leak on the cx 500 so i wont use them

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
They may be all made at the same plant, but the construction varies wildly. Just cut one open, the FRAM are simply inferior quality, with cardboard end caps and plastic valves instead of metal endcaps and metal valves.

Charles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
FRAM are simply inferior quality, with cardboard end caps and plastic valves instead of metal endcaps and metal valves.
Why is the cardboard inferior? If its good enough for the purpose its designed for then it doesn't matter what its made from. I read the reviews, and was thinking about what the author said about crumbling cardboard particles making their way into your motor. Wouldn't these particles get stuck in the filter element? I don't think that they would bypass the element.

TF

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
My adapter arrived.

What's the "prettiest" filter to use out of the ones recommended by Murray? Royal Purple? (I am from Princeapolis):

This adapter is compatible with the following (or equivalent): Bypass filters
• AC Delco PF2232
• Baldwin BF1441
• Fram PH 9100
• Luberfiner LFP 2999
• STP S9100
• Royal Purple 30-2999
• K&N HP-3003
• Mobil1 M1-303
• Wix 57202

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the original post, Thomas. I finally got around to installing mine a couple of months ago and intended to post it but you beat me to it and probably did a better job! I am not a high mileage guy so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but that will come.

Regarding the filter, I decided that since Murray uses the Fram 9100, that I would follow suit and use the same one. I am confident that he knows enough about this platform to make an educated decision and since I don't, I donned my lemming costume and here we are.

As to the value of the mod, I have subjectively seen a lowering of average temperature, though as above, I am not a long distance rider by any stretch of the imagination. It has come down by a needle width in steady state riding in my normal routine and that works for me.

G

·
Registered
628 Posts
My adapter arrived.

What's the "prettiest" filter to use out of the ones recommended by Murray? Royal Purple? (I am from Princeapolis):

This adapter is compatible with the following (or equivalent): Bypass filters
• AC Delco PF2232
• Baldwin BF1441
• Fram PH 9100
• Luberfiner LFP 2999
• STP S9100
• Royal Purple 30-2999
• K&N HP-3003
• Mobil1 M1-303
• Wix 57202
I've looked and looked at Murray's adaptor, and would love to press the button and buy one. The only thing that puts me off is trying to find UK versions of the acceptable filters that he lists.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts