Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Off My oil filter bolt was slightly messed up when I got the bike,
1D276F4F-FD61-48F6-B6CA-8459CED311E7_zpsondmnwso.jpg

The package containing the adapter was packaged well with instructions, and a protective cover on the adapter.
6FCFAE50-8996-41E1-B673-8554C332E3F8_zpsykstyodf.jpg

This is what it looks like with the filter and cover removed.
B95FFA25-B626-4893-A227-2BFB6E1ACC1E_zpsn2acktxh.jpg

This is the adapter. See the small holes, these are used to tighten the adapter after it is installed. Make sure they are facing out and the shorter threaded side screws into the engine. Also make sure everything is clean and no burrs on the adapter, Mine was good to go.
50EDBB03-B87C-4397-AC1E-17ECE392821B_zps4xxxmt37.jpg

I used a very small screwdriver to snug the adapter up. Do not over tighten this. Once the bump snugs against the engine it's tight.
74A3DF1A-4A44-47F5-BB89-0BCB480E5044_zps7bzdm0bh.jpg

This is how it's supposed to be, just snugged up.
3C12B13E-E46B-4BE0-A291-8993E791080E_zpsvk7vanln.jpg
EA6B9921-0B1A-472C-A540-218E42BD8FC9_zpsrpbam4ne.jpg

You will now be able to use a large automotive oil filter, the instructions that came with the adapter gives a list of filters that will fit, and I chose the Fram P9100 sure grip filter. Be sure to clean the mounting flange on the engine and dip your finger in clean engine oil and rub it on the ruber o ring on the filter before installing the new filter on the adapter.
94EF1489-6C94-4EFB-AB08-8A7A3D22923F_zpsyifyxmqu.jpg

Screw the filter on the adapter until the o ring touches the flange.
C4C8E0FE-54DC-4765-97A8-FFAFD48F1C8C_zps2ozpukst.jpg

Then rotate the filter another quarter turn to insure a good fit and seal.
63DD660E-9709-4BAE-986F-17FB09185DA3_zpsojlftwjx.jpg

Time to add fresh oil, I added two and a half quarts of oil, turned the engine over for a while with the run switch turned to off, started the engine, let it run until the oil light went out, shut it off and checked the oil. I needed about another half quart. Checked for leaks, everything looks good.
Easy enough. Never have to worry about striping the original filter bolt again, and now can get a filter at any auto parts store. As a bonus a little extra oil in the engine and it has the benefit of cooling the engine oil more through the case of the filter.
Get one from Murray. http://cx500forum.com/forum/selling-buying-forum/17489-purchasing-spin-adapters.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hope there is an anti drain back valve in that filter. If it doesn't have one, it would take a while to fill that big filter again if the bike sits for a long while. I think all of the Frams come with bypass valves.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I tried several filters with anti drain back, and they all caused the oil light to stay on longer than I liked after setting over night. The smaller Fram PH30 without the bypass made the light go off fastest but in the end I went back to stock. Wish they made a PH30 size filter with a bypass. BTW the Wix (and NAPA) filters that are supposed to work with the adapter bottomed out on the threads before making a good seal with the gasket.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thomas, you should add this and your clutch spring thread to the wiki! Even a rookie like me can understand thanks to your explanation
Well done, brother
Murray, awesome adapter as well!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not sure if my post are Wiki material, but if someone wants to reword it and use the pics they are welcome to do so. If you look at the link Purchasing filter Adapters, Murray did did a very nice job of showing this install. I got the adapter from Murray at his shop and didn't see his install until after I posted mine and was sharing a link to his thread.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I tried several filters with anti drain back, and they all caused the oil light to stay on longer than I liked after setting over night. The smaller Fram PH30 without the bypass made the light go off fastest but in the end I went back to stock. Wish they made a PH30 size filter with a bypass. BTW the Wix (and NAPA) filters that are supposed to work with the adapter bottomed out on the threads before making a good seal with the gasket.
Murray, is this why mines seeps a little oil after sitting a couple of days? I used the wix filter last fall.

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
could be

you guys will bomb me but i buy fram 9100 when walmart has them on sale for 3 something

they dont leak or cause me any prob and once painted black i never have to give it a thought

and i like the tough wrap on the end

ok let the filter bashing begin LOL

·
Registered
496 Posts
ok let the filter bashing begin LOL
Really can we? I don't want to bash it really even though I personally have no need for a large orange wart on the front of my bike. My oil filter bolt works fine and you can get the filters (Fram or K&N) at Autozone if you can wait 24 hours. Not to mention others are readily available from a myriad of suppliers online. Since oil changes don't really sneak up on you I don't see the benefit in my case and the aesthetics for me are not acceptable. Any way it is an ingenious solution to a problem that some people have and I promise Murray I wouldn't have said anything but, you asked for it.

"Bashing" over

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use Fram I change the oil every 3000 yeah I've heard the hype the truth is the "science" around filtering seems a bit fuzzy and subjective...

BTW I did call it an orange wart ;)

Reactions: Thomas

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use Fram I change the oil every 3000 yeah I've heard the hype the truth is the "science" around filtering seems a bit fuzzy and subjective...

BTW I did call it an orange wart ;)
It's a beauty mark on my bike. ;) I was going to ask about using a remote filter mount for it so I could go crazy and mount it on the rear swing arm all old Harley style.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems weird that anti drain back would cause it to take longer to build pressure when they are supposed to have the opposite effect. Did you ever come to any conclusion as to why?
Didn't know you could get Fram auto filters without a bypass. That would worry me a bit. Seen the results before.

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
the worst thing for me was the filter manufacturers information is all behind

so to actually see which filter had what features i would up having to buy the things and cut them in half on a band saw to see

if they had a by pass most fram filters that fit chevy dont have a by pass as chevy installs it on the filter adapter in the block on all v8s and on the 4.3 v6

·
Registered
39 Posts
the worst thing for me was the filter manufacturers information is all behind

so to actually see which filter had what features i would up having to buy the things and cut them in half on a band saw to see

if they had a by pass most fram filters that fit chevy dont have a by pass as chevy installs it on the filter adapter in the block on all v8s and on the 4.3 v6
I see. Guess that's just me looking at things from an Import (Honda) point of view. I never was very domesticated. I do have an old Ramcharger, but never looked passed the dipstick.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts