Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

This weekend I installed a new h box on my 1980 Cx custom, it took literally all day to get all the pipes back on as they didn't want to line up perfectly.
I'm have Harley cans on the back installed by a previous owner, before I took it all apart and re-installed it was not backfiring.

I am leaking a lot of air from the connection on the cans at the back of the h box, the connections are not right and simply won't connect 100%. On the previous install the owner wrapped the connection with silver exhaust wrap, no tape, and just on the connection which I'm guessing helped but didn't fully fix the escaping air. I do have gaskets on the cans and they're in great shape.

How do I stop the leak?

As per the white smoke, the h box part was off an old bike and oil had leaked inside it, I'm fairly positive that will stop once the oil "burns off."

Tips?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,837 Posts
Your carbs may have been re-jetted by a PO when the original exhaust collector was removed. I'd check that first.

R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the h box with the same style h box, but the new one isn't rusted out like the old one, so rejetting I don't think would be an issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts