Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i got some time to work on my bike. its been idling really high and i did a couple of things i wanted to clean up and make sure they were working right. for starters i was out of gas. grabbed my 2 gallon catch can and filled it up. 10 minutes after pouring it into the tank i came back out to the garage to find a drip of gas on the ground. i know i didn't spill any where it was collecting so i start looking. i thought at first the petcock was not tight. i wrenched it down as far as it would go. after a little further inspection i can see its coming from the underside of the tank!!!! i drained it empty and spent an hour flushing it with water so tonight i gotta strip the paint to bare metal and see where the leaks are coming from. i'm pretty sure its the pinch seam around the radius and around the base of the petcock bung. this was my face upon learning of this new wrinkle

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after a couple hours and a can of paint stripper i have the following

half a dozen chemical burns on my hands and feet

a completely paint free gas tank

i plugged the petcock hole with my finger and filled the tank with water. took only a few seconds to find the seep. there are 2 spot welds that position the petcock bung. they were seeping heavily. I'll let the tank dry out overnight and JB weld the hole. now i gotta body work the tank and paint it again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
splashback. its 110 degrees in my garage so i wore flip flops and shorts. not my smartest move but hell it was hot. i sealed up the leak in the bottom of the tank last night. actually got jb weld to lay down like glass. tonight i'll leak test it then fix the holes in the top (don't ask how they got there)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.