Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the site and bikes in general,I inherited a 1979 cx 500 from my grandfather with 8,000 miles on it.It hasn't ran since 1992. It was stored inside the whole time, now that I have time I am starting to wake it up from it's deep sleep.Any tips on what to do to get her running?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Others will chime in with more, but here's a good starting point:

-Check for mouse nests in the air box. Vacuum out if necessary.

-Spray some fluid in the spark plug holes to lubricate the cylinders, and see if the engine turns. (make sure it's not stuck)

-Drain the carbs.

-Remove the carbs and clean them out. If you can't, or are unwilling to remove the carbs, then at least try removing the carb bowls -- they'll likely have a fair amount of sediment in them. If you can keep the sediment from being sucked into the rest of the carb, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

-Get new tires. Even if the tread is fine, the rubber is at least 19 years old -- it's unsafe.

-Bleed the front brakes.

-Post pics of it here on the forum!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, will take some pics.I spent most of yesterday disassembling .Polished the tank it came out pretty good.Now I have to clean the crud from it inside.Engine rolls over freely.Working on this brings back memories of my pap.He always wanted it kept immaculate but as he got older he just couldn't keep up and parked it.After he died my uncle got the bike and installed a new cam and fan but never started it. He called me out of the blue a couple of years ago and asked if I wanted to buy it I said yes and never even asked how much.

I took a trailer to ky to pick it up, after it was loaded I asked how much he said well I put in the cam, new battery etc.etc. So how does nothing sound? I about died on the spot.I just completey finished my drag car yesterday and pulled the bike out of the corner and cleaned for hours and many hours of just cleaning left.This is one thing in my life where time and money will not be an object whatever it needs it will get.

It probably isn't worth a plugged nickle but to me this bike is priceless because of my grandpa.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a service manual I think I am going to go thru it and do all the recomended services in it for a start.This is a great site thank you for your help.Cars and diesels i know bikes are all new for me but shouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Here's a basic check-list,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72

Seems strange that the cam-chain was replaced if it only had 8,000 on it.They can last over 50k miles.

If the engine is good then it could be a brilliant bike to restore to former glory and especially with the sentimental value to you

PS

Parts for the 500s are quite abundant so no worries there

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd also check out the exhaust system for mouse nests. Where I live the freaking mice can almost get into a sealed canning jar. If they had a chance they'd fill up the H box for sure.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. Since you've got wrenching experience, you're going to learn that Honda CX/GL500's are way easy to repair and maintain. As was already mentioned, most parts are easy to get too.

You picked the bike up in Kentucky but what is your location? Put that and your bike model & year in your signature. We on this forum like to know who we're helping out and sometimes there's a member right around the corner. For instance, I'm currently in London England and I already met several chaps from this forum. Talk about cool!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tore into the carbs yesterday, what a mess gas setting 20 years makes. Gottem soaking now.Ordered battery and hope to have it running next weekend if all goes well.The reason for the cam change was something to do with the fan I was told.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd also check out the exhaust system for mouse nests. Where I live the freaking mice can almost get into a sealed canning jar. If they had a chance they'd fill up the H box for sure.

Mouse nests in the exhaust are easy to take care of... just start the engine!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Up date cleaned tank yesterday, ordered tank sealer unfortunately won't be here before the weekend.So me and my buddy are going to rig up a boat tank to her and see if she will light off saturday if the battery gets here in time.Tthe only problem with this thing is I am getting consumed with getting it back in shape and riding with my son this summer.Question on tires all the places I look at now size the tires differently such as 11/90h-19 vs. the old size of 3.25 x 19 what are the equivilants in modern tire sizes to the originals?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
That sounds like one for restoration! Congratulations! You will like the bike.

My CX had been homesteaded by a bunch of mice and the air filter was full of seeds and nuts.

Check some of my other posts to see some of the experiences that I had getting mine back in operating condition.

Have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's 5:30 am and up already getting ready to go to the shop and get started have to install carbs, battery check airbox and see if she will light off today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well here is an update, after rebuilding carbs, removing engine, splitting rear case and finding an extra thrust washer on the starter reduction gear.Reinstalled engine yesterday she lit off after about 3 turns and purrs like a kitten after 19 years.One minor leak to cure and much needed maintenence such as tires, fork seals, caliper and master cyl rebuild etc. I think she will be good to go.Thanks for all the help and tips.Searched a lot of threads and stickies and got all the needed info to complete all the tasks so far.Again thanks for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.