Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically the indicators work fine when the bike is on but the engine isn't running. However as soon as the engine is running the indicators blink once and stop. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would do some basics. Remove and reinstall each bulb to ensure good contacts. Maybe even clean up the contact studs on the bulbs with a little emery cloth or steel wool. Check the fuse. Check the flasher module. Mine is under my seat on my GL500. The older style ones do go bad after a while, so it may be worth it to buy a new one. If none of that works, find the electrical diagram on the wiki page and start tracing wires out, looking for shorts. You could use a multimeter and check for continuity. Electrical stuff can be hard to track down, but at least these old bikes don't have a ton of wiring. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would think that this could be a vibration-related problem. Check the connections around the flasher relay, especially. Also possible that the internals of the flasher are close to dead. Though I don't normally suggest replacing parts on a hunch, it's cheap and it might be worth doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts