Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '81 CX500D I'm wanting to line the gas tank but cant get the in-tank filter out. What can I try to rmove it without damaging it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I sucsesfully use an easy out and removed the filter lots of small particles of rust/dust on the lower screen. Now wha is the best product to remove the rust from the tank and line it? I was thinking of Kreem or electrolysis and Red Kote.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How bad is the rust? The Por15 comes as a kit with a marine detergent, acid etch and sealer, $45. If the rust is more than heavy oxidation, you may need to use other methods. I had to replace the tank. Great on the outside, fubar on the inside.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Uppon closer examination, the screen was still in there! I built a puller useing a 3/8 x16 bolt. Drilled out three washers to 29/64 inside diameter. It worked real slick. Did not have to tap the screen, just screw in the bolt. Now I suppose that I have to replace the screen!

I am glad someone posted this problem before I put gas in the tank!

This is how I removed mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How bad is the rust?

I have some pitting on the cap and directly under. I imagine that the top of the tank is well oxidized. when i went to look at the bike there was some dark streeks running from the pitting under the cap. When I looked at it the next day after getting it home the streeks were washed away. The sides look clean. The gas that I drained looked clear when it was comming out but when I looked in the gas can (bran new) it was a murky green/grey color. There doesn't seem to be any hunks, just fine particles much smaller then sand grains maby a little more corse than baby powder. When I took the filter out there was maby a 1/4 teaspoon caked around the bottom of the filter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just finishing up the process of Red Kote-ing my tank. I spent 2 hours sitting and slowly spinning the tank, then another hour with 10psi compressed air into the tank, still rotating at about 5 minute intervals. I've now got it laying on it's top with compressed air flowing into the tank to speed drying. I'm working on 2nd coat of the stuff after thinning 20% with MEK, if anyone's interested. Sorry, that probably should be a new thread. Anyway...

I got the screen filter out, but ruined it in the process. I had not seen these photos beforehand, don't know if this would have worked anyway. I had a nasty time trying to get it out in the first place. I twisted it out, then twisted some more. Very tight fit. Checked out new ones, they run $33 apiece. If I can, I'll get by without it. I'm planning on using an in-line filter instead of the screen filter. Will I be OK without that in-tank screen filter? If so, should I get an O-ring for the petcock to go onto the tank? Also, can someone explain the outlets on the petcock? I know which is fuel out. Of the other two, which is vacuum and which is drain? I want to be sure I'm hooking things up correctly. Oh...1981 GL500i, if that helps any. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The in-tank filter would be nice to have, but you can probably get by with a in-line one since your tank should be nice and clean now. If the O ring is bad, I would certainly replace it, if it is still good and not knacked, you may not need one.

The front port (closest to the radiator is for the vacuum line from the right carb, the other one is the atmospheric vent that is usually routed down close to the carb overflows.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did not replace the in tank filter after removing it. Thought the in line would work. I was very wrong! Was told that the filters will not pass grit/dirt when clogged. Actually, should not pass any liquid either. This posting contains pictures of my newly rebuilt carbs after one gallon of gas was run through the tank which still contained rust.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...lems/page__p__36869__fromsearch__1#entry36869

Bottom line is that one should check out the results. Do not assume.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got it all put back together and it's up and running! I did get a new in-tank filter and also added an in-line filter. I let the Red-Kote liner dry for about 3 weeks. I had no MEK odor coming from the tank about a week ago, then left on vacation for another week. Figured it wouldn't hurt to just let it sit while we were gone. I'm thinking all is well, ran it for about 30 miles today. Carburetor ran without a hitch, gas tank should be nice and clean now with the liner, no rust. Whew. Now if we could only have Savannah weather in upstate NY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.