Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1979 CX500 Custom and all I need to get the bike running is a new stator assembly. If you have or know where I can get one that works please let me know.

TIA.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The bike cranks and lights work but the spark plugs don't fire. I've tested the stator wires and have removed the old and damaged one.
i know the cdi stators go bad, but ive never heard of a completely failed one. usually when theres a no spark problem its the kill switch. did you try cranking the bike with the kill switch unplugged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know the cdi stators go bad, but ive never heard of a completely failed one. usually when theres a no spark problem its the kill switch. did you try cranking the bike with the kill switch unplugged?
The stator was broken. It got caught in the flywheel and ripped the wiring. The kill switch is fine. I don't know how it happened I bought the bike in this condition.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The stator was broken. It got caught in the flywheel and ripped the wiring. The kill switch is fine. I don't know how it happened I bought the bike in this condition.
huh. that is odd. how are the magnets? and....you should totally post a picture of the stator when you got a chance.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
When the low speed source coil fails the bike will not start. That is a common failure as the stators age. Tech in Training did you check the stator by measuring resistances before removing the stator? How to check or test the stator and pickups on a CDI Honda CX500 | MotoFaction

·
Registered
417 Posts
When the low speed source coil fails the bike will not start. That is a common failure as the stators age. Tech in Training did you check the stator by measuring resistances before removing the stator? How to check or test the stator and pickups on a CDI Honda CX500 | MotoFaction
id be curious to see the high speed vs low speed coil failures. i personally had a high speed failure on a 1 month old stator...

and, he mentioned that the flywheel somehow caught the stator and damaged it.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,433 Posts
Some of the replacement TI stators need a ground connection moved to avoid contacting the flywheel. I wonder if the PO hadn't installed a replacement incorrectly. That kind of interference doesn't happen spontaneously.
Tech in Training, does this bike have the stock CDI, or an aftermarket ignition? Again, pics will be a huge help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.