Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys n Gals, can someone help me with the "impeller collar" on the camshaft please. My CX500 didn't have one on strip-down. Is it special or just a washer? Anyone got yhe spec's please.
Carry on, you're all doing very well!!

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't lodged in the middle of the old mech seal?

It wouldn't have operated very well without the collar in place.

They also hide on the back of the cam. Clean the area up with a stainless scourer or wire brush and take a close look.

These numbers are off the top of my head but you're looking for a washer roughly 10 x 14 x 2 mm

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The wee steel distance piece ? I bet its jammed in the back of the impellor , waiting for you to pick it out and clean it .

·
Registered
1982 CX500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely no Collar present. Where could I get hold of one? I'm confused by the FSM as to what order these parts go onto the shaft. It shows the collar going on first in the step by step, but the exploded diagram shows it against the back of the impeller. I'm sure it goes against the impeller. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
It goes on first as the FSM says. The main part of the mech seal with stainless cup has clearance for the cam.

Mech seal stainless cup and innards install to the rear cover. The rear cover is fitted before the items to be fitted to the cam.

So ... after the collar goes on the impeller is fitted with polo mint and its rubber cup already installed to the inmpeller.

This is followed by the copper sealing washer followed by the dome nut.

Can you take a photo of the back of your cam?

I may have a surplus collar.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Definitely no Collar present. Where could I get hold of one? I'm confused by the FSM as to what order these parts go onto the shaft. It shows the collar going on first in the step by step, but the exploded diagram shows it against the back of the impeller. I'm sure it goes against the impeller. Any advice would be appreciated.
Is this what your looking for? Honda 90453-415-000 - WASHER | Partzilla.com

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
So that's where your thrust washer was hiding!

·
Registered
1982 CX500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CXPHREAK are you able to post me the collar please? You have my address in Vic. There is definitely nothing on the shaft. Maybe I could get us a Lottery ticket??

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
I can do that.

But first, just get a measurement of the spline length. It will be 8 mm without the collar.

While it may just be a mark left by contact of the rubber cup it looks possible that the collar is still on the cam.

Automotive tire Fluid Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas

·
Super Moderator
23,949 Posts
Ok, it doesn't appear to be present.

I don't seem to have your details so PM them to me and I'll get a collar in the post tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
and try to re-use the original acorn nut too as new ones are longer and can foul on the pump cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts