Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather has been nasty here lately, so I've been rolling ideas around of a project. I know the GL650 left side covers are rare as hen's teeth, and was wondering if anyone has tried to make a duplicate. I've perused the internet for the last couple of days and don't think that making one would be too difficult. There are several methods to do this, but fiberglass would seem to be the easiest and quickest.

The basic principle is to make a female mold out of fiberglass and then lay up the new one inside this form. I have done enough fiberglassing to realize that what seems easy isn't always that simple. But with some experimenting, I don't think it would be that hard to at least make serviceable ones. A good mold can produce 20-30 copies before it deteriorates, but that would probably be about the world wide demand for these anyhow. I don't even have a grasp on material cost, but I would think the materials for each one, once the mold is made would be less than $20. A good bit of the materials, (release wax, PVA film, gel coat, resin, and mat) need to be acquired in reasonable quantities. A can of release wax for instance, would probably do several hundred pieces, but you will have a lower cost per piece if you buy a decent sized can.

A couple of things are holding me back. One is the demand for these. I at least want to be able to recoup my cost. I know of several guys currently looking for one of these, but making 3 wouldn't be cost effective. Another problem is that the GL650 cover I currently have on my bike isn't perfect. I had to remake the slot area in the back and had to glue the SilverWing emblem on. I don't want to destroy mine just for fun. In theory, the piece shouldn't be affected, but you never know. The emblem would need to be removed before molding began too. My mounting lugs are good, so I could use those for placement of lugs in the new ones.

What I am getting around to is does anyone have a cover that maybe has the lugs broken that they would part with? It could even be cracked, but I would want to at least have all the parts. Scratched, dented, or chipped really doesn't matter. I can fix those before I do the mold. If anyone is interested in helping out, let me know. I would even pay the shipping and if things did work out, send your cover and a new one back to you.

This isn't going to be a next day project, I will have to wait for the weather to improve to work this stuff outside, but at least I can start getting my ducks in a row. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
GOOD LUCK BLUE.i think giving time and dedication[which you have]

you will be fine.dont forget,they are really scarse,and that situation will only get worse

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
GL650 side covers have the telltale "MA1" text stamped into the plastic, indicating a GL500 part number. The conclusion from this is the plastic is the same for GL500 and GL650 side covers - the difference is in the color and decals.

My naked GL650 bike uses GL500 side covers that were repainted. They fit perfectly.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
GL650 side covers have the telltale "MA1" text stamped into the plastic, indicating a GL500 part number. The conclusion from this is the plastic is the same for GL500 and GL650 side covers - the difference is in the color and decals.

My naked GL650 bike uses GL500 side covers that were repainted. They fit perfectly.
mmm,with that info in hand Blue,well,sorta opens up the market a bit

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Dave. I need to check on my GL500 cover now and see what shape it is in. But that does open up a larger reservoir of covers to use to make a mold. I would still prefer not to mold over my good ones, if someone had a bad one to use. I wasn't planning on painting these, or even putting holes for the emblem. I might locate the holes, but mark them on the back side. Just in case someone wanted to leave them off.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I did not want emblems on the naked GL650 so I filled in the holes with Plastifix prior to painting. Many of the folks doing customization work may also prefer to have no holes.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
Isn't the GL650 side cover the same as the GL500? Or are they getting scarce, too?

I'd considered trying to reproduce these in resin using a silicon mold. It was going to be a possible winter project, but I've done nothing on it. (Life keeps getting in the way of my fun.
)

R

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mr. Fox - making a mold of the cover would be fairly straight forward , but how would you make a female mold that would also include provision for the mounting postd? Or would you cast them separately and glass them to the inside of the cover afterward?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys, This thread kinda trailed off. Any update on this, I would be interested in the end result of this project. Unfortunately no side cover to contribute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.