Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how the bikes are shaping up. I did finally realize what was wrong with my brake by the way.

I've never taken apart a master cylinder and after doing so, the answer for why are my brakes siezing was quite obvious after the pictures.

My findings:

Cleaned up the piston and spring assembly:

After and with much better results:

The relief port was completely glogged only allowing the brakes to constantly grip more over and and thus thats why whenever i popped the bleeder open i would have the ability to move the mammoth again.

But without further a due, my new updated pics and new aquistion

'92 Kawasaki EX500:

'82 Honda CX500:

'75 Kawasaki S1:

An older picture but its for the most part the same only with a front disc brake.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And what i'm curretly doing is fitting dual 27" 1.5" exhaust pipes on the bike. I realize i will have to rejet and i was actually wondering what size jets i should throw in.

Its been a while since i've messed with the carbs but i believer they are 78 secondary and 100 mains.

If i were to go say 80 ...whatever the next size for secondaries is and 115 mains is that sufficient enough or am i just going by plug color until i hit the right jets?

And yea, i'm ordering new pirelli tires this friday so don't worry, i haven't yet cruised farther than the road i live on with those tires. Even that is debateably stupid but i know better

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those magmopus tires must be originals?  My roommate in college had an ex500, he loved that thing.  It's crazy that Kawi is still making those, must be one of the longest running models in history.

They actually just stopped making them in 2009. To my knowledge there's only two generations and very little difference between them except body pieces.

All i can assume is it was too perfect of a bike to screw with. And i have to say its a lot zippier than i would think and if i'm not redling and having fun around the turns it averages at least 50 or more mpg most of the time. Pretty wild considering i can usually squeeze 170 miles out of a 3.9 tank. I actually bought it for the GF but i will need a lowering kit first. But i rode it around for a month before my friend mentioned he cancelled insurance the day he left it at my house to pick up his R1........

So its been sitting on the porch since with short trips up and down the road just to keep it from gumming up and stuff. I haven't paid for all of it yet so i highly doubt i can insure a bike i don't own yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.