Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been roughly two weeks since I left for my mini adventure. I left on June 7th and just got back a few minutes ago. In my journey I've been to Hell and back but never had a problem with the bike besides the jetting issue. I ran into several people in small towns that would walk around my bike and say "I remember when I had one of these". Then of course there's always the sentence of regret that they ever sold theirs.

This is a map of roughly where I have been. I took the snake route but this could help calculate my miles since I didn't check the odometer before I left.

Google Map

I believe I did just a hair over 2,000 miles but the map seems to suggest 1700. But I did get on the bike every chance I had to go to the store, park, scenic whatever and you name it. I saw a ton of relatives, 2 different bike shows and my share of midwest weather.

Three of my main stops bike wise was Hell, Michigan, the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan and Mods vs. Rockers in Chicago. I think I came back with about 500 photos.

Here's my full gallery.

http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Blindstitch2002/2011 June Trip/?start=all

Pictures may still be uploading depending on how quick you view things.

But as a preview.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Cool!

i figured you were on a trip since you haven't been on-line for a while. Glad you had a good time. Where are you going next!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome back! It looks like you had a great trip.

Back to work so I can pay for the next one.

Yep. A common dilemma here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Looks like a great trip. I want to take a nice trip on the bike, but right now I travel around for work. So when I get home, the best I can do is a short day ride or two on the bike. I'll check out the pics when I get some time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Great pictures, great route. BTW, is that a Slipstreamers windshield? I think that is the one I liked in the Whitney's catalog. How do you like yours?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The windshield is actually a National Cycle Plexistar 2 but the mounting pieces broke off so I drilled and expanded the holes and installed slipstreamer brackets.

Slipstream makes a similar windshield and it would probably be worth it.

Edit...

I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The windshield is actually a National Cycle Plexistar 2 but the mounting pieces broke off so I drilled and expanded the holes and installed slipstreamer brackets.

I like mine a lot.
I have the same windshield and the bottom right mount broke off. I use epoxy and it held for several weeks and tore loose again. I am considering making a bracket out of aluminum and bolting it to the fairing with small screws but was worried about cracking the fairing when drilling the holes. Did you have any problems drilling holes. I called the manufacturer and they will not sell the parts. They will sell the fairing with the brackets fastened to the fairing and you can use all the loose parts that you save from the original fairing. I asked why and they said it was a safety issue which is think is BS. Billrod

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same windshield and the bottom right mount broke off. I use epoxy and it held for several weeks and tore loose again. I am considering making a bracket out of aluminum and bolting it to the fairing with small screws but was worried about cracking the fairing when drilling the holes. Did you have any problems drilling holes. I called the manufacturer and they will not sell the parts. They will sell the fairing with the brackets fastened to the fairing and you can use all the loose parts that you save from the original fairing. I asked why and they said it was a safety issue which is think is BS. Billrod

Yeah I went though the same crap. We cant sell you the mounts because they are vulcanized onto the windshield when they are made. Of course a new shield was like $100.

What I did was drill a 1/8 hole right where the mount broke off and then I got a eye bolt with a 1/2 inch or so center. Then I put a metal fender washer on the bolt, then a rubber washer, put it through the windshield, then rubber washer, metal washer and a lock nut. Then I cut the rest off with my dremel. It's holding just fine after a year and a half.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yeah I went though the same crap. We cant sell you the mounts because they are vulcanized onto the windshield when they are made. Of course a new shield was like $100.

What I did was drill a 1/8 hole right where the mount broke off and then I got a eye bolt with a 1/2 inch or so center. Then I put a metal fender washer on the bolt, then a rubber washer, put it through the windshield, then rubber washer, metal washer and a lock nut. Then I cut the rest off with my dremel. It's holding just fine after a year and a half.

Sounds like a great idea and it should fit on the "L" shaped piece. If it has lasted that long I can't argue with success. Thanks Billrod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts