Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there were several of us in the last forum- but how many of us have moved over here??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I thinks I made it so far.....Just gotta go through the "learning curve" of what can be done or can't........GEEZE!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to see you guys are here! Greg, digging the black bike! LOL.... Did our bikes come in black stock? For some reason I thought the only colors offered were that burgundy-ish color, and the silver color.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made it over here the first couple of days the new site was active.

Greg, how are those Interstate parts coming along? I'm definitely enjoying the naked GL this season, once need4steed and I got her running well (and once I got her to stop gushing out fuel). I don't sweat nearly as much as i did behind that big old fairing

Dan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Dan, I'm a Mopar girlie (my current is my first and last GM!) and your shiny red Dodge caught my attention.... looks older then a Dakota- is is one of the older Rams? I had an old Dakota- but the front end was different (hence the guess of the old Ram)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup, it's a 1989 Dodge Ram 150. The lack of the grill kind of makes it look funky, but with the steel mesh, I kind of like the look (kind of a Mad Max look), I never had the desire to find the proper grill. I used to have a minty 1985 Dodge Ram 250 Prospector with a 1-ton suspension, but the engine was going, and gas was just starting to rise, so I got rid of it. I mean 8 miles per gallon was a little bit of a joke. I still really miss that truck though.

Kind of funny that you call the truck shiny. If I took a side shot of it, you would see it is a definite work truck. This poor old girl has been beat on all her life, but at 109K mikes, even though she's rough and falling apart, she's a strong runner. I plan on running it into the ground (or until there is absolutely no body left) before I ever replace her.

Dan

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Glad to see you guys are here! Greg, digging the black bike! LOL.... Did our bikes come in black stock? For some reason I thought the only colors offered were that burgundy-ish color, and the silver color.

In 1981 only the GL500 and GL500I had the option of black.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, not black, its an 82 Gl500 Burgundy. Dan, Interstate items up in the attic in wraps, glad you are enjoying the fresh air. Did you ever get the horn bracket fabricated?

Greg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope, never got around to it. The horns are just hanging by one bolt each, and only one of them is actually wired up. Another member offered to do the welding for me; I just haven't had the chance to deal with it just yet. All the other parts I wanted are on there though (except windshield and saddle bags), as you can see by my avitar, and I even have some engine guards I'm going to paint up and install.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, I know there were several of us in the last forum- but how many of us have moved over here??

I live on the north side of Chicago (Glencoe) during the week, plan to get my '78 down here from MI before winter. Never know what the roads will be over the winter...

And I just found the "new" forum.... where have I been??

Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I live on the north side of Chicago (Glencoe) during the week, plan to get my '78 down here from MI before winter. Never know what the roads will be over the winter...

And I just found the "new" forum.... where have I been??

Jim

Only 60 miles away.

You should be able to ride up to December without snow. And you could probably get the bike out in March.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alrighty. Since we seem so far flung, I'd like you guys to weigh in. Where in Illinois do you like to ride the best? Scenic, fun places to visit? Let's hear them!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anywhere would be nice at this point. I've been having issues with the headlight not wanting to turn on half of the time, so it's been sitting parked in front of my truck for the past month, unmoved. If I was at home once in a while, maybe I'd fix it, but I've been living at work these days with barely enough time to shower and sleep when I'm at home. I tell you what though, I feel like a Harley owner. I've spent more time repairing something that went wrong on every ride with that bike than I have actually riding it. This entire season, I've put just barely 200 miles on it. As much as I like the bike, I'm really learning to hate it.

Dan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't put many miles on mine, either... but while painting, modifying, etc I found a leak in the gas tank, so I'm repairing- plus OT, plus my photography.... but I'm a hard headed woman and I WILL do some riding this year!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think with me, I have just run out of patience for this bike. Between having absolutely no time, and spending what little time I did have to working on the bike instead of riding it, I just kind of give up. It's just that with every single ride, something goes wrong, and I'm just at my limit. Plus, since I have a working and dependable dual-sport, I haven't been without a bike, just without the one I want to ride. I can't afford it now, but in a couple of years, when bills are paid off, I'm going to give this one to a friend of mine who's brother can rebuild it in his sleep, and get myself a newer, more dependable bike, whatever it may be.

I really am a pretty patient person. I have a truck that is also riddled with problems, and I continue to work in that, but I can drive it a few times and come back without having to fix it. I know a bike is a different animal, and I understand that when I purchased this bike, I would have to do some wrenching on it, but every single time I ride it? If I wanted to work on it every single time, I would have purchased a Harley

I had pretty much no issues with it last season, but my season ended with an accident, so I'm sure that accident caused a lot of these issues that I've been experiencing.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to rant, and I am in no way calling these bikes down. I have just hit my limit with mine, and I no longer have the same appreciation for it that I used to have. I'm sure that if I went in and maybe did a complete restore of this bike, I would have it for years to come since these are rather good machines, I just no longer want to at this point. In a couple of years, it will be time to move on.

Dan

1 - 20 of 92 Posts