Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just found your forum. I own a CX650 Custom and love it. Noticed on ebay today that their is a IHI Turbo Charger for CX500 and CX650 for sale. Didn't know there was an option to turbo charge my bike. It is difficult? Is it a good idea? How does it effect gas miliage as the CX is my every day comuter bike. Do these turbo charger require frequent maintenance or repair. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Honda had an eye on the CX engine for turbocharging from the start because it was liquid cooled and the turbo could be situated in such a way as to reduce turbo lag. At the time that the CX turbo was made, there was quite a bit of uncertainty regarding where motorcycling was heading. Would there be stiff protectionist tariffs on large displacement imports? Strict emissions standards that would require precise fuel metering? If turbocharging was to be the wave of the future, Honda wanted to be in the forefront of this technology and have a lead over its competitors. To this end it was not satisfied with mildly boosting a carbureted inline 4; Honda intended to address the technical issues that turbocharging presented and produce a reliable bike with responsive, controllable turbo power on demand. There are many differences between the CX Turbo models and the CX Custom beyond the turbo unit itself; almost too many to list. Sadly, there is no kit or conversion available to properly mate the turbo unit to the CX650C.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hey, just found your forum. I own a CX650 Custom and love it. Noticed on ebay today that their is a IHI Turbo Charger for CX500 and CX650 for sale. Didn't know there was an option to turbo charge my bike. It is difficult? Is it a good idea? How does it effect gas miliage as the CX is my every day comuter bike. Do these turbo charger require frequent maintenance or repair. Thanks for any input.

The turbos are totally different bikes and probably the most complex production vehicles made back in the day. The entire bike including the EFI system is designed to work with the turbo.

While you won't build a factory CX Turbo, in theory you could add a turbo to a CX. Many people have had that dream and even started fabrication but it's a dream that has never come true and probably never will. Honda's best engineers went through a lot to make a turbo work with this v-twin's odd pulses.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Kickstand, the IHI turbo you saw listed is assuredly for/from a CX500T or a CX650T, and not for/from both, as they are different. As already said, it is an idea that captures the imagination of clever folks every once in awhile, but would be very difficult and expensive to design & assemble, and have virtually no chance of operating satisfactorily if completed. The likely outcome was once predicted to look like a junior high school science project gone badly awry. I do not believe a carbureted CX conversion to turbo has ever been carried much past the dreaming stage, once the engineering problems and their $olution$ become apparent. Both CX500T and CX650T bikes come up for sale often enough that most anyone can buy one for a fair price, if you are willing to drive to get it. However, don't assume that a T will be "so much greater" than your CX650C without riding one. The 650C you have is the quickest of the entire model series, off the line. Even quicker than the Ts in most situations. The Turbo's outstanding qualities are in several other areas, and due to this and their relative rarity, they do not appeal to "everyone".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kickstand, the IHI turbo you saw listed is assuredly for/from a CX500T or a CX650T, and not for/from both, as they are different. As already said, it is an idea that captures the imagination of clever folks every once in awhile, but would be very difficult and expensive to design & assemble, and have virtually no chance of operating satisfactorily if completed. The likely outcome was once predicted to look like a junior high school science project gone badly awry. I do not believe a carbureted CX conversion to turbo has ever been carried much past the dreaming stage, once the engineering problems and their $olution$ become apparent. Both CX500T and CX650T bikes come up for sale often enough that most anyone can buy one for a fair price, if you are willing to drive to get it. However, don't assume that a T will be "so much greater" than your CX650C without riding one. The 650C you have is the quickest of the entire model series, off the line. Even quicker than the Ts in most situations. The Turbo's outstanding qualities are in several other areas, and due to this and their relative rarity, they do not appeal to "everyone".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.