Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i hope you gut dont mind a question from a newbie,i have just aquired a 1978 cx500 which is quite a bad state at the moment and im hoping to restore it but the problem i have with it is The ignition wires were pulled out of the connecting block that the ignition key normally operates and i dont know which colour wires should go to which connector. There a 6 connections and 6 wires, a green, red and a few black/brown colours.

Does anyone have a diagram or even a photo of the connections on their bike so that i can safely reconnect the wires without making more problems for myself by cooking something!!

thanks very much for any help

Rob.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The main wires are the red, black and green

Red - power from the main fuse

Black - power out to systems

Green - ground

Theres also a black/white cable which has to be grounded in order to

stop the engine and this is done when the switch is turned to off

and the b/w is shorted to the green

Browny wires are for the parking lights which I never bother with meself

and never used them in the ign switch

there's a diagram of how the switch works around somewhere

I did occur I may be helping someone hot wire a CX for larcenous purposes

but then I thought What self respecting tea leaf would nick an old CX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ive managed to sort the wires out thanks again for the info,and im trying to source an ignition switch i have found one for sale but it only has 5 pins in the multiplug and my bike has six,could i still use this ignition?and what is the extra wire for? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there Bobsport ,I am searching for an answer to the same question , did you ever find out if the 5 pin can be used on a six pin harness? I would imagine you have long since finished renovating your cx and you are enjoying riding it.
Staff

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the swift reply J.C. unfortunately I cant swap them over as I have a damaged bottom part (sounds nasty) I will source correct switch
staff
P.S I hoped it would be possible to just swap the wires around on the cx 6 pin plug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.