Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Im new to this forum but hope you can help Iv got a cx500 powered trike and no sparks?????? Iv checked the stster resistances according to the hand book and all seem to be OK The CDI box ( black) is in a bit of a sorry condition and am unable to test it with out Honda test kit as Im getting strange readings But Iv been informed that this is normal with out the correct kit!!! Can any body point me in the direction of what to do next to confirm the CDI unit if at fault Has any body got a CDI unit that is OK to prove the CDI box is good or bad I live near Reading in the UK I have found somebody who can build a new unit Buy I dont whant to go that way if I can use the old unit Is there an upgrade or conversion on the market????

Many thanks

Chric

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Without another CDI to try all you can do is to test the stator thoroughly to eliminate it as the problem.

What resistance tests did you do?

You could try unplugging the the kill switch, it is a black and white wire that plugs into the CDI. It will eliminate the kill switch or wire as a source of the problem.

If that makes no difference then you can try unplugging the 3 yellow wires that come from the stator and plug into the reg/rec, the plug is under the seat,,try starting the bike with this unplugged. If it starts with this unplugged it would indicate a problem in the charging windings on the stator.

If you still have no joy,,post back and let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Allan Iv done all the tests on the ststor unit and been with in the limits of the spec sheet But Iv been told that the readings on the blue and white may still fail when producing 200volts!! I will try your suggestion in the next few days

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.