Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am new to this forum and new to the motorcycle world...

I bought a cx500 a few months ago and the wiring is non existent. As I go through my checklist of what needs repair and replacement, and also study the wiring diagram for this bike, I cannot figure out why the ignition switch has 12 wires coming out of it. (see attached image)

The bike only had a speedometer when I bought it (no tachometer). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
Red is power in from battery via main fuse. Greens are grounds. Brown are parking light circuit. Black/white is kill switch {works to ground},..

For starters - connecting red to solid black {NOT black/white} should get you most functions including starting.

·
Registered
1980 CX500C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red is power in from battery via main fuse. Greens are grounds. Brown are parking light circuit. Black/white is kill switch {works to ground},..

For starters - connecting red to solid black {NOT black/white} should get you most functions including starting.
Thank you! Am I wrong for thinking there generally is only one green, one brown, etc etc?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
Visit the forum wiki and get the appropriate Factory Service Manual. Check the 1979 Custom addendum (chapter 26, IIRC) to find your wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1980 CX500C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Visit the forum wiki and get the appropriate Factory Service Manual. Check the 1979 Custom addendum (chapter 26, IIRC) to find your wiring diagram.
This is the wiring diagram I have been referencing so far. I think I understand most of it, but uncertain what a couple symbols are. For example, I'm unsure of what the connector is that looks like just a plain rectangle. (the LG/R coming from the neutral switch) Is that just for ease of connecting and disconnecting wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
1980 Addendum, Chapter 23. Sorry, I could only see the date of manufacture on you VIN label.
A triangle pointing into a rectangle? That's a single bullet connector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts