Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've been having some trouble with my bike (83 CX650 Custom) and need a new ignition switch/assembly.

When I turn the key the bike doesn't really turn on, I have to do a 1/4 turn back for it to turn on. This was working for awhile until I started going down the highway recently and the bike would just shut off, so now much of the time I have to keep pressure on the key to keep it in the right position in order to keep the bike on.

So if anyone knows where I can find a new/used/reliable ignition switch assembly, I would really appreciate the help.

Also, my "Tail Light" Light on my instrument cluster has come on. I know that means by tail light doesn't work when I hit the brakes, but and I'm not really sure what the overall problem is and how to fix it. If anyone could provide insight here, that would be amazing!!

And lastly, I do live in Houston, TX, and I know it's summer here, but my bike seems to get really hot, really fast, and I'm unsure as to why that could be. Any insight here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Adam

P.S. If there is anyone in the Houston area that knows how to switch out an ignition switch or help out with the tail light, I would gladly travel and compensate accordingly.

·
Registered
24,211 Posts
hey dan where is the article and wiring chart for the bypass of the cx650 tail lamp module i did?

the poster wil;l have to bypass his tail lamp warning module to get his lights working

ziceman if dan cant find the article pm me and i will tell you how to do the module bypass

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You may have one of these under the bike connected to the brake lever that is not adjusted... Brake light actuator try tightening it up a couple turns... Also, try reversing the bulb in the socket.

ignition switch does sound like it needs replacing...

·
Registered
24,211 Posts
the 83 cx650 custom has a unique tail lamp control and warning module

located on the rear inner fender it is peculiar to that year/model and a few other honda models

all the power to the rear bulbs go thru it so if you just unplug it none of the rear lights will work

i have used this switch on one of my 650s

CX650 CX 650 Ignition Switch | eBay

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts