Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll! I have been having problems with my ignition switch. First it would only turn on if I wiggled the key just right. Eventually, however, the slightest bump would kill the bike so I decided to open it up and clean it. That did the job for about two months before I noticed it happen again and today it simply won't make contact anymore. Does anyone know if there is a fix for that or just better to buy a replacement? If so, are there any good reproduction switches for sale that would not involve massive rewiring or repositioning as I like the switch on the instrument panel? Either that or does someone have an OEM GL650 switch for sale with keys? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,462 Posts
The aftermarket replacement for the TAI keyswitch should be easy to find. If George Fix still sells them on eBay, he's a good source.
You might be able to get just the base and retain your stock key cylinder.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Can you remove the key when the ignition is in the "on" position?
If so key cylinder is shot (as well)....
4 into 1 has them (complete assemblies) for the CX/GL and CB families....for bout $20-$25.

EMGO sells just the bases...but at over $25....on ebay at least....

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
If your key cylinder is OK, put the new base on the old cylinder. You still have one key!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts
Note that a keyswitch made for a GL500 or CX650 should work but one made for a CX500 will be different and could cause problems if plugged into your bike's wiring.

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
You can buy the base separately for the TAI system, but not for CDI, that I'm aware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently replaced my ignition switch on my 83 GL650. If you go through my history, you'll see my thread where I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out which one to get. I bought this one on Ebay and it worked PERFECTLY: EMGO Ignition Switch
I bought this one on ebay because it says that it would fit the bike perfectly. I am having my doubts, however. I emailed someone about the EMGO switch and they said that it would only work for the GL500. How did you manage to put it on the 650?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Lukes's bike was mine and I can verify the Emgo was plug and play. Not much difference if any between 500 and 650. The mounting/fit is a bit different but that was it. bolt placement was the same as far as I know

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
I bought this one on ebay because it says that it would fit the bike perfectly. I am having my doubts, however. I emailed someone about the EMGO switch and they said that it would only work for the GL500. How did you manage to put it on the 650?
That eBay listing indicates that it is compatible with both the GL500 and the GL650 (you have to look for SilverWing in the list) and several other Honda models I am familiar with but it is not correct for any of them. It might (maybe) fit the mount but the connector is definitely not correct.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That eBay listing indicates that it is compatible with both the GL500 and the GL650 (you have to look for SilverWing in the list) and several other Honda models I am familiar with but it is not correct for any of them. It might (maybe) fit the mount but the connector is definitely not correct.
Yup the listing of a 4pin is a red flag...
Hondas generally 5 or 6 pin...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, I just remembered one thing - I needed to bore out the bolt holes a bit with a drill and then it worked fine. As for the pins and wiring, it was plug and play - the wiring pigtail adapter slotted right in and the wiring layout was all perfect.
Thats where I think I have an issue. My GL650 does not have a pigtail adapter. The connections are all soldered to the back of the base. I am currently sick but as soon as I leave my room I will send photos. I just want to make sure that this has not already been tweaked with and in need of more work. I am technically the third owner but the original owner left it to his son which never touched it so any modification would have been done by the father that has since passed.

·
Registered
1983 GL650i
365 Posts
Yes, mine was the same way - follow those connectors and see where they go - they should go to a 6 pin connector. Unplug, replace with the ignition switch I linked (after widening out the bolt holes a bit), and then your bike's wiring should be able to plug right in.

Here's the thread where I was trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Fwiw...when i tried the link at #8 the description was a 4pin plug....rechecking either the advert has been corrected or the link has been corrected....so disregard comment #9

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
I didn't notice anything about 4 pin and the pics I've seen at that eBay listing still show the same 6 pin connector I've seen there all along, which tells me that whether it will bolt in place or not it is NOT plug & play replacement.

FWIW, both of my bikes have keyswitches that didn't come with the same connector as the original so I imagine I could probably make it control a GL650 adequately for North America with the parking light (= battery killer) function eliminated fairly easily but from the sounds of things javi isn't so electrically oriented.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, mine was the same way - follow those connectors and see where they go - they should go to a 6 pin connector. Unplug, replace with the ignition switch I linked (after widening out the bolt holes a bit), and then your bike's wiring should be able to plug right in.

Here's the thread where I was trying to figure it out.

The switch works perfectly. I traced back the wiring and found the plug, tried it out and it works without issue for the bike. I have been looking at the manual and notice that there are not two 10mm bolts behind the headlight nacelle as mentioned in the manual and no mention of it in the addendum for the 650. It looks like I will have to take the handlebar apart to disconnect the broken OEM switch to replace it. Is this correct or is there something that I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
None of the 650 models or the SilverWings have nacelles, nor do the pics you posted of your bike show one. Which manual are you using? The GL500 FSM should show how to get at the keyswitch and the GL650 should be the same.

I think I would un-bolt the headlight bucket from the ears and go up between the instrument panel and the steering head with a socket wrench and a short extension. I believe the bolts in question will be M8 (8mm) with 10mm heads.
NOTE that it is very important to always refer to a bolt by the size of its shank, not the head size. Bolts of the same size can have several different head sizes (these ones are a good example - most M8 bolts have 12mm heads) and most importantly the torque specs for bolts are always listed according to the bolt size so if you use the torque spec for the head size instead you will at best weaken the bolt and at worst snap it off and have to extract it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts