Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has sat for a quite a bit of its life and the ignition switch feels like it should be lubricated but I don't recall ever reading about such a procedure. Should these be lubricated? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. And sorry about the rapid fire questions but I just started a project and I am concerned that I might do some damage if I keep turning the switch.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My bike has sat for a quite a bit of its life and the ignition switch feels like it should be lubricated but I don't recall ever reading about such a procedure. Should these be lubricated? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. And sorry about the rapid fire questions but I just started a project and I am concerned that I might do some damage if I keep turning the switch.
richard.i would clean the tumblers with electric switch cleaner then lubricate with this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graphite-Dry-...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a5f7dbe41

you do not want oil sitting inside any lock,it just attracts dirt and dust.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can find lock lubricant at most any hardware store. It's usually in powder form made of graphite or molybenum disulphide although sometimes they suspend it in a cleanly evaporating solvent that helps it to penetrate into the tumblers.

Home Depot and other places sell a "dry lubricant" by LPS in a big spray can, it's moly based and handy to have around.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.