Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having what probably is a very simple problem with my ignition switch on my 1980 cx500 but I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual so hopefully you guys can help me out. My headlamp stays off even when the bike is on unless I wiggle the ignition button just right and it won't fire unless I depress the button in a certain way. I know this is most likely an electrical contact issue but I'v used contact cleaner and the problem persists. I'v had these problems before but electrical cleaner always fixed it immediately. Do I need a new ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

The start switch can be disassembled and cleaned without much difficulty. This will usually take care of the problem. It's a good idea to have a towel or similar spread out under the switch when it is disassembled to catch the small parts that may come flying out.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
flush the button with the contact cleaner, if it persists it could be a frayed wire, the headlight problem - not sure on that one - does your model have an independent headlight switch above the starter button? if so it could just be really dirty. I would open up the switch - being careful to watch for any loose bits from that stater button area, and wash the whole thing with your contact cleaner - then put it back together, it is doubtful that the small screw/s holding the headlight switch in place could work their way loose..but a worn or damaged starter button could be loose inside..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flush the button with the contact cleaner, if it persists it could be a frayed wire, the headlight problem - not sure on that one - does your model have an independent headlight switch above the starter button? if so it could just be really dirty. I would open up the switch - being careful to watch for any loose bits from that stater button area, and wash the whole thing with your contact cleaner - then put it back together, it is doubtful that the small screw/s holding the headlight switch in place could work their way loose..but a worn or damaged starter button could be loose inside..

There's no independant switch. It's just the starter button and the killswitch. When the starter button is depressed the light is supposed to turn off then turn back on once the button is released. With some wiggling of the button I can get the light to come on but it usually just turns right back off. I'v already flushed it with contact cleaner now I'm tring to figure out how to dissemble the button itself

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Before you take the switch apart,,there is a hole on the bottom of the plastic piece that the switch is in, if you look on the bottom of the switch assembly you should see the hole in line with the starter button.

If you take a can of contact cleaner with the little straw/tube that comes with it and put the tube in the hole and give it a few good shots of cleaner and then work the button for a while (with the key off) then spray a few more shots of cleaner and try the button a few more times it may help.

·
Registered
816 Posts
AFAIK there isn't a written description on how to disassemble the starter switch. However, if you plan on doing this, have a digital camera handy and practice taking pictures (if it has a macro function, even better-this way you will get sharp, in focus pictures). Take a picture of every step you do, so that it can help you out on reassembly of the switch. Plus you can write the steps and be the original author!

I had to rebuild the starter switch for my CB360 because the switch housing was broken which caused the switch not to start the bike. Hopefully your spray cleaner will quickly fix the issue, but if not, post the pics and we can watch along with you and give you pointers.

If it isn't repairable, you may be able to get a suitable replacement from another member.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.