Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question, i'm wondering if i can crack open the ignition coil on my '81 cx5c...i've got some leftover 8.8 accel coil wires from a mustang project and i'd love to use them on my bike, not sure if i can remove the stock ignition wires and obviously i don't want to try and see and have to buy a new coil after fudging it up. also, if anyone thinks 8.8 ignition wires will make my bike explode let me know...i'll try to get a video of the explosion.

as always, thanks for the advice.

~J

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't think you could do this without ruining your coils.

Blindstitch posted a pic not long ago of a coil he cut open to see how the wire is held in place and I don't think it would work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you could do this without ruining your coils.

Blindstitch posted a pic not long ago of a coil he cut open to see how the wire is held in place and I don't think it would work.

i missed that post...i'll try to find it, i'd like to see what's inside those things. thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
The 150/250 pitbike coils on ebay are cheap and easy. And I bet if you really wanted to there has to be some sort of cover you can put on them that will make them yellow. Or wrap them with yellow electrical tape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 150/250 pitbike coils on ebay are cheap and easy. And I bet if you really wanted to there has to be some sort of cover you can put on them that will make them yellow. Or wrap them with yellow electrical tape.

haha, well, i mean, they don't HAVE to be yellow...i was more stoked about the extra spark of the 8.8 diameter wires than the color.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
I am assembling a motor for a bloke on our forum here that comes with coils that have already had this operation performed by another forum member. The catch here is that since I havn't finished the motor I still don't know if the coils work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am assembling a motor for a bloke on our forum here that comes with coils that have already had this operation performed by another forum member. The catch here is that since I havn't finished the motor I still don't know if the coils work.

whoa...who's the forum member that performed the surgery? i'll see if i can find a thread or glean some knowledge.

·
Registered
798 Posts
haha, well, i mean, they don't HAVE to be yellow...i was more stoked about the extra spark of the 8.8 diameter wires than the color.
Im pretty sure that would actually decrease your spark. My GL has copper plug wires (I assume the cx is the same), and most likely you accel wires are graphite. Graphite is used in modern wires because it doesnt cause radio interference, but on a non fuelly engine it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im pretty sure that would actually decrease your spark. My GL has copper plug wires (I assume the cx is the same), and most likely you accel wires are graphite. Graphite is used in modern wires because it doesnt cause radio interference, but on a non fuelly engine it doesnt matter.

yeah, copper and graphite, respectively. that's good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

You are correct for the CDI ignition. I was searching for a nice writeup I read a long time ago on some vintage Toyota board about CDI units, where they went into technical details explaining why with test numbers. The OEM distributor caps for the CDI Jap cars came with the wires attached to the caps, so you couldn't replace single wires on those cars. I couldn't find the post, maybe it was deleted or I'm just not using the correct search terms. Lesson here I guess is if you find something you MIGHT want to reference in the future out there in the ether, save a copy of it somewhere on your computer. If I dig it up I'll post a link here.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You can use those if you really want to. Just ground the other tower.

Probably, but what would be the point? Twice as much bulk for what will be less juice reaching the plug. You'd have to double up on everything, kind of an expensive proposition when aftermarket CDI coils that work well are $10 on eBay.

A single post Accell automotive application might be better suited to the purdy yellow wires. A solution to problem that doesn't exist, spark intensity and duration are not an area on the CX's that need or benefit from "improvement". Reminds me of the "indexed plugs" thread.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably, but what would be the point? Twice as much bulk for what will be less juice reaching the plug. You'd have to double up on everything, kind of an expensive proposition when aftermarket CDI coils that work well are $10 on eBay.

A single post Accell automotive application might be better suited to the purdy yellow wires. A solution to problem that doesn't exist, spark intensity and duration are not an area on the CX's that need or benefit from "improvement". Reminds me of the "indexed plugs" thread.

"solution to a problem that doesn't exist" is all i really need to hear...if you don't think it'll make any difference in performance then to heck with it, i'll spend my time and money on something else. i'm just used to modding cars, where its always more air + more gas + more spark + more exhaust = more power. i've got the air, gas and exhaust covered (pod filters, re-jet, straight pipes), so i figured i'd look for more spark, but yeah, if it's not needed then i won't bother. i'll transfer that time and money to the sheet metal work! thanks!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
"solution to a problem that doesn't exist" is all i really need to hear...if you don't think it'll make any difference in performance then to heck with it, i'll spend my time and money on something else. i'm just used to modding cars, where its always more air + more gas + more spark + more exhaust = more power. i've got the air, gas and exhaust covered (pod filters, re-jet, straight pipes), so i figured i'd look for more spark, but yeah, if it's not needed then i won't bother. i'll transfer that time and money to the sheet metal work! thanks!

FWIW, Iriduim plugs have always been worth the $ for me....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

For Sure, Indexing does not make a damm bit of difference in the world of the CX GL tourist., Well, Maybe not... but then what does it hurt, Steve??? How can you be so sure without knowing the exact physical characteristics of the intake stroke, exhaust gas scavenging Vs Valve duration, overlap etc. In regards to the above Spark intensity and duration would benifit nada statement, I have to respectfully disagree, Far as "indexing," Wanna Race on a dyno?
my CXshizz is dead on stock
cept for the plugs.

On our CX Gls Screwing around with the gap, trying hotter and colder plugs will make an appreciable difference in ignition performance. (Try IT! ) so will getting rid of the air box and stock exhaust ( and still turn high 15s zzzzzz) I hear of a lot of CXmods with no hard dyno or track data to back any of it... I guess if it looks cool and is loud, it must be faster. I'll bet a properly tuned stock CX will smoke most of the bobs, sally's and rat'z out there

If you really want to make a difference, fuel inject it, and go to electronic ignition management... the only autos even made today without EFI only run in S. CAR races
(And the carbs they run are proof that any carb will work on any motor.
.. ) our ignition timing Advance syst and fuel management systs are now"Antiques" from an era of change... imo, they were headed in the right direction, and our twisted twin motor fuel mgmt syst and ignition scheme is "Growing Pains" from that era and would benefit vastly from modernizing.

As I posted above, IMO, "iridium" plugs... are probably the cheapest bang for the "average" buck out there...

in a race tuned engine of any type, the idea is to be able to pump as much fuel as you can burn as quickly as you can into and out of the combustion chambers as quickly and effeciently as you can... this leads to some issues of practicability that are unsuitable for some "Street" applications.... Like 6000+rpm idle speeds.
unburnt fuel in pedetrians eyes, 300 mile tire changes...etc etc

As far as indexing, giant magnetos charging big coils firing multiple plugs per jug.. air pumps like turbos or superchargers, tuned exhaust systems with equal length headers looking like spaghetti... I've always enjoyed breathing on motors, all that indexing and other hoo doo stuff is just fun...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts