Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based off of all the information I am reading, it sounds like the Ignition Coils on a CX500 are supposed to be getting 100vdc +

What I don't understand is, all of the posts I see suggesting Chinese aftermarket coils to replace the stock coils are 12vdc.

How is this not burning up the coils? On my standard ignition automobiles, if I am not running a ballast resistor between my 12vdc feed, and the 6vdc ignition coil they begin to boil and eventually let the smoke out.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Depends on the setup. Not all cx use the same coils.

TI; ignition on newer cx bikes are 12 volt coil input. The coil creates a big charge to fire the spark plug. (Or at least way corvette was setup)

CDI; the input of the coils is higher than 12 volts, (whatever voltage comes out of the cdi box). The cdi box releases a charge which goes to the coil and is magnified, which fires the spark plug.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
And the pit bike coils for the CDI work just fine.....I have a set on my Custom right now that are working fantastic, and they are cheap to boot! Also, you can customize the wires coming off the coil because they arent bonded to the coil like the originals

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Bike is the CX CDI, which calls for 100vdc - 150vdc....

Kameron, how long have you been using the pit bike coils? I ordered some from eBay based off of recommendations from the users on this sight.

But the math just doesn't seem to add up to me.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
its going on a couple of months now, no problems or issues. I took the resistors out of the spark plug caps and am running iridium resistor type plugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Pit Bike Coils came the other day, I installed them, and so far they seem to be working fine. They aren't getting hot as if they were being "Voltage Overfed" I still don't understand how something that calls for 12vdc isn't burning up when being fed 10x as much.

The main reason for the swap was because as far as I know the bike was running with 32 year old ignition coils (Maybe older) and I want to be able to rely on my motorcycle to go for an hour drive and not worry about electrical problems.

I mounted them in the factory bracket. I drilled 2 holes right above the sleeve where the long 6mm bolt passes through to hold the original coils in place.
Everybody told me I would need to make brackets, and I just didn't see the need.

We will see how these things work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts