Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined, although have read many posts over the last few months prior to joining and got heaps of info - many thanks to all!!

I have a 1978 CX500, previously one owner with 33,000km (approx 21,000 miles) and in very "original" condition, having been left outside in a carport for the last 15+ years.

I am building a Cafe Racer, hopefully similar to the BBCR 507 and Lakic 500 mono shock builds. The bike hasn't run for 15 yeas, but I got it going prior to tear down - but didn't ride it. I currently have engine out, front end off and down to bare frame.

While the engine is out, I want to replace parts that may cause a problem in the future, even if currently working - as well as improve performance, without limiting the engine life.

My question re ignition is, I plan to install a Ignitech CDI unit and wondered if i should also replace/upgrade the stator as well, while the engine is out?

If so, are there any views on best replacements? I see some builds use a Ricks Stator, but am also interested in all comments and any considerations re compatibility.

I will be upgrading to an anti gravity battery to reduce space (likely 8 cell) and maybe a M Unit to reduce wiring harness.

Also any views on an appropriate Regulator/Rectifier?

Many thanks

·
Registered
24,369 Posts
use a rae san ignition from a local countryman and do away with all the old stuff while you have it apart

with a ignitec you still need the factory 35 year old internal pickups

with the rae-san you have brand new halleffect system

CX 500 CDI Ignitions | Rae-San Electronics

forum member "rayman"

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Third the Raesan. Fit the raesan hall effect, new ignition coils and plug caps and your bike will have a totally new ignition system with no aging components. Coils can be $5 pit bike coils {which work better than the price and Chinese origins suggest} or Murrays coil over plug kit.

Ray makes top stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I took a look on the Rae San site and their hall effect system. Looks like that would be a good solution and, if you guys have tested it and know it's good, I am happy to take your recommendation.

I will investigate the Pit Bike Coils and the Murray's Coil on Plug alternatives a bit more. Haven't come across these before, so thanks for the recommendation.

Currently thinking through front end conversion to USD forks.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts