Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought this new/old 1981 CX500C - all in all its in great mechanical shape (so far, I havnt got much time on it yet). It only has one problem I know of, and I knew it when I got it. The start button is kind of finicky. The guy I bought it from acted like it was new to him, that he thought it maybe had some condensation in the assembly housing causing a short. (it was just brought out for sale after having sat in the shed all winter) Well, Im thinking its an actual short from being used for 30 years. I wouldnt care if it just was the start button, but it also controls the head light, so the headlight can just turn itself off and you have to fiddle with the button to get it to get the circuit back for head light power.

I looked for a replacement, the entire assembly is all thats available and its a discontinued item, ie. its really not available.

Does anybody have an idea of how I can rectify this? Are new buttons (and only the button) available anywhere? Is there a way I can bypass the button to control the headlight?

I would like to find a better solution.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Hello Matt and welcome to the forum.

You can usually take the control assembly apart and clean up the contacts for the button as well as the headlight switch. The screws can be a pain to get loose sometimes so use a good screwdriver. A little sanding and or corrosion cleaner will go a long way to clean up the problem. Sometimes you'll find that bugs have gotten in there too. You probably don't need to replace it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GN,

I will give it a shot tonight.

just as an aside, I came to check your response and saw the pic of your bike and my first reaction was "how did a pic of my bike get up here?!" The one I got is electric blue with the windjammer too,
funny.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
You should put a picture of it up as your avatar pic so we can see it.

BTW, if the controls are corroded enough to cause issues, you should go through all the wiring harness connections and clean them up too. Use a bit of dielectric grease in them to prevent future issues too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it took me one day longer than expected, life got in the way and I just couldnt get out to work on it.

I did as was suggested, I pulled the ignition assembly apart and just took my time as I dissected it and kept a nice clean towel/rag under my work/in my lap as I sat working with it all still attached to the handle bars.

Started out by just hosing the whole thing down with electrical parts cleaner, there was all kinds of neat crud in there, including a spiders egg nest.

I kept actuating the button, turning the key back on to see what if any progress I was making.

It was working, the short was getting smaller and smaller, but it never fully went away and I kind of think the headlight being reliable is an important thing.

I finally got REAL brave and decided to dissect the actual button. It was surprisingly simple inside.

WARNING! There are two small springs in there, on of which is super small.

I took a needle file and lightly scraped away any built up crud I found and brought out nice shiny brass/copper contacts.

I pulled the one contact on the actual button out, that is where the really tiny spring hides.

I actually pulled the tiny spring out longer, so it would push harder against the other contacts in the button housing.

Hosed it all out again, gave it all a very very thin coat of dielectric grease, put the button assembly back together and guess what?

It works perfectly now.

Put the rest of the assembly back together, throttle cable, brake grip sensor ect.

and now it works one hundred percent perfect, no hesitations or fiddling with the button to get her started and the light works even when I try to fiddle with the button like I did before just to get it light up.

small job, the kind of thing I wouldnt think I would have to do, just had always taken for granted that nearly all parts would be forever available. BUT, they are not and I got it done.

Thanks for the advice.

If anybody has problems with the ignition button, which I have seen a few posts that seem to point in that possible direction, it really is a good idea to give it a try, just take your time, pay attention and keep a nice clean towel in your lap as you work. I was amazed at how much crud had found its way through so many tiny crevices.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Good to hear it worked out. Good job on getting the BUGS out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a ton for posting your step-by-step on this. I have been having a similar problem and hope that this will work for me. I have sprayed mine out with electrical cleaner but have not dissected it entirely. I am a little worried about getting the throttle connected again.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Throttle Cable is actually pretty easy, its just a lead ball on the end of the cable that slips into its little home on the handle. Getting the button housing out of the greater housing can be a bit of a pain, the screws holding the internals in were kind of stuck. The biggest thing is keeping a towel under your work, have good light, and take your time. You may be amazed at the crud that can find its way all the way in there through such small cracks. Mine wasnt corroded, it was just gunked up and the contact was just not clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.