Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where does the red wire on the ignitech go to on the bike? The 2 coming from the rear brake light switch are black and the other is like a brown with yellow. I thought I had heard that it goes to a black/white wire. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It goes to the hot side of the rear brake light switch. It's black and in the same area as the cdi but you need a test light to make sure it's actually hot.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Brown/yellow?

I think you'll find its a probably a (dirty) Green and Yellow

as those are the colours used for the brake lights on the CX

and yes, any black wire should give you a switched supply.

Firing her up already? you have been busy.

Hope its all OK

BTW the Black/White on the CX is used to stop the Ignitech

by pulling the line low just like it stopped the CDI.

No idea what colour it connects to on the Ignitech though

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wired mine into the brake light & boy was I having fun, only when the lights are on is there power to the unit...so I left it like that,reminds me to switch the lights on which is law here & a kinda security measure...LOL...just hope I never forget this...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brown/yellow?

I think you'll find its a probably a (dirty) Green and Yellow

as those are the colours used for the brake lights on the CX

and yes, any black wire should give you a switched supply.

Firing her up already? you have been busy.

Hope its all OK

BTW the Black/White on the CX is used to stop the Ignitech

by pulling the line low just like it stopped the CDI.

No idea what colour it connects to on the Ignitech though
Yes, very busy. Would be faster if I didnt have to keep running to the store for bolts I've misplaced. I think they got blown around in a recent storm. Next time I wont be leaving them lay. To attempt to start it all I have to do is put in the battery and connect a clamp to the fuel line. Didnt want to do that tonight since it was 9 pm by that time. Probably for the best though since the radiator has vinegar in it. There is still a list of things to be done, but will find out in the morning if it sparks to life. Its not leaking any fluids yet which is good. I have the tail light assembly off atm. I'm dreading putting it back on. Looks so much better without it!!! Sorry, I didnt take the time to take pictures. Was really trying hard to hear it purr today.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I wired mine into the brake light & boy was I having fun, only when the lights are on is there power to the unit...so I left it like that,reminds me to switch the lights on which is law here & a kinda security measure...LOL...just hope I never forget this...

Did someone do some creative wiring or did it come like this for the Aussie market??

I thought the brake light circuit was powered all the time on all vehicles since the late 1940's.

Nate, I'll snap some pics of my Ignitech install for the instructions, I made it clear that the red wire in my writeup was ONLY for that particular bike because the wire had been replaced at some time by a previous owner. Sorry if that's what caused your confusion, it wasn't on purpose

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did someone do some creative wiring or did it come like this for the Aussie market??

I thought the brake light circuit was powered all the time on all vehicles since the late 1940's.

Nate, I'll snap some pics of my Ignitech install for the instructions, I made it clear that the red wire in my writeup was ONLY for that particular bike because the wire had been replaced at some time by a previous owner. Sorry if that's what caused your confusion, it wasn't on purpose
It's all good buddy! Just as long as I dont see smoke or flames tomorrow lol!! I remember reading something about the black/white wire. Just dont remember any details.

·
Registered
108 Posts

No, you need to turn the lights on,either to park or full on...I was not refering to the brake light that comes on when you brake but the actual brake light that comes on when you switch the lights on...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Since my ignition switch went bad and I was unwilling to pay the exorbitant amounts for a replacement CX500 one, I got a Goldwing switch. Before getting the ignitech I just used a thumbswitch for my lights, and the key for only the killswitch (without the key installed people would be able to bump start my bike with no issue o.0).

I directly wired the brown wire (running tail) to the brown/white (running lights) so they're always on when the key is on. Pulled the killswitch wires for the key (no longer need them for the ignitech as cutting power will cut your ignition now) and did something creative. Since Goldwing has Off/Acc/On/P I made it so Acc has battery directly to ignitech (so the ignitech goes straight to my switch, to the battery) and nothing else. So now I can still run without my lights (before it required me to put my ignition switch in a "special" spot, or when I installed the thumbswitch, to just shut it off) and theoretically bump start it if there's enough power to power the ignitech but not the starter motor. When it's switched to on of course battery goes out to ignitech and the black wire which powers everything else.

Hope I didn't convolute that too much, and hope that it was possibly helpful.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Cramer, that made sense to me. Good idea for the future, if one wanted to ride your bike in a "stealth" mode, with out the lights on.

The only thing I can add is: make sure the connections are good and tight. I found I had a loose connection for the red lead and my bike cut out once on me after installing my Ignitech module. Luckily I wasn't riding it down the road at the time.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Here's the only picture I could find of mine, see the black wire just under the green wire, on the left hand side of the picture? I took that picture before i connected things, so the ignitec part isn't hooked in all the way yet.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
So, If I my eyes dont deceive.

Ignitech green goes to CX black/white ( kill switch)

Ignitech White and Orange go to coils ( White to Yellow and Orange to pink)

Igntech red to switched supply ( any black wire in the vicinity, often the feed to brake light switch)

and in Nates case, with a G8 stator. The bluey/greeny ( torquoise?) wire on the 8 way connector

needs to be connected to ground if he didnt lay in a ground cable in the harness

when he wired it up

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Tail light, as opposed to the actual brake light?

Must be a language translation anomaly, tail light probably equals brake light in one of their dozen or so official languages.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Must be a language translation anomaly, tail light probably equals brake light in on of their dozen or so official languages.

As long as nobody is wiring it up to their boot we will be fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just received my Ignitech box and have it all hooked up other than the red wire. I connected the splitter that came with tho Ignitech to the rear black brake light wire, but my Ignitech has two red wires....what do I do with the second red wire??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
It's a bridge, one side goes on the male bullet connector and the other side goes on the female bullet connector to the brake light switch. There is no need to splice/cut etc. any wires.

On early Ignitechs there is only one red wire on the harness. If you follow both those wires up the harness, you will see that they terminate at the same pin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks, Cobram! I have never started this bike, nor had a single spark...so I am really hoping it is a CDI issue and can finally hear this thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.