Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back in need of some assistance of course... I recently bought an Motogadget m.unit blue and wired it up to my 1979 CX500. Everything works fine on the m.unit. The bike turns over but I am only getting spark on the right cylinder. The Ignitech and pretty much everything else is hooked up the same as the diagram posted below apart from my bike having a G47 stator and not the G8 so the blue wires coming off the ignitech are connected straight to the stator.

The orange wire coming off the ignitech gives power to the right ignition coil (tested both coils with orange wire. They both work fine) and the white wire that goes to the left ignition coil should be getting power as well but it just isn't.

Headlight, taillight, and indicators are not plugged into the harness during this testing.

Here are my stator test results.

I'm a little bit lost at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
are you certain that the ignitech isn't faulty?

It has a common power supply and ground so the M unit shouldn't really come into it. If the right side has spark the ignitech is powered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you certain that the ignitech isn't faulty?

It has a common power supply and ground so the M unit shouldn't really come into it. If the right side has spark the ignitech is powered.
Definitely not certain that my ignitech isn't faulty as I haven't actually used it to run my bike. Last time my bike ran was with the stock CDI unit.

My bike has gone through 3 engine painting sessions so it hasn't been all together in about a year unfortunately. As soon as I figure this out I can get it on the road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured I'd post my findings for anyone that may have the same issue down the road.

After messing with the Ignitech wiring a bunch and hooking it up to my PC through the serial port to test all functions I have found that my unit is faulty. The white wire coming off the Ignitech (left ignition coil) isn't outputting any power and makes a slight "pop" inside the Ignitech. The orange wire (right ignition coil) works perfectly fine when tested through the Ignitech configuration program.

As a last resort to see if my unit was indeed faulty I plugged in a stock CDI unit from a parts bike I have and it sparks on both cylinders just fine. Didn't start the bike as I don't have the carbs on at the moment but if they were on all the elements are there to start the engine.

Hopefully I will be able to get a replacement unit without much fuss but we shall see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts