Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will no longer be hosting Ignitech Group Buys.

If you want one you can order directly from Ignitech at:
http://www.ignitech.cz/en/

For the curious:

The first group buy was for 16 units @ U$161.00 each including U$4.85
for Priority Mail delivery - 10 years ago.

Last group buy was for 24 units @ U$136.00 each including U$7.05 for Priority Mail delivery.

A total of 743 CX500 Ignitech units were purchased through the group buys.

<<<<<Ordering Info Removed>>>>>

I DO NOT represent Ignitech, I do not work for them, etc. The Ignitech units have a 2 year factory warranty which is handled directly through Ignitech. I will help with any warranty claims if I can.

What is it, what is it good for, and will it work on my bike?

The Ignitech unit replaces the factory CDI unit on 1978-1981 CX500 motorcycles ONLY.
It nullifies the HV windings connector (white/blue) coming from the stator; unit operates on 12 volts. If your bike is cutting out around 5500 RPM's because of a bad stator, this will eliminate the problem without having to open the engine and replace the stator.

If your stator is not charging the battery, it must be replaced before you can upgrade to the Ignitech. With the Ignitech installed, if you want a bit more juice or your original stator has failed, the more expensive dual winding CX stator (G47) can be replaced with the later less expensive and higher output GL500 stator (G8).

The Ignitech is a replacement for the OEM CDI unit; it is NOT a miraculous device that will cure all your bikes ills.

The Ignitech comes programmed with an improved ignition-timing curve. Many switching to the Ignitech report improved running with the Ignitech vs the OEM CDI.

The newest OEM CDI out there is 30+ years old, it's a crap shoot whether the CDI or stator CDI windings will give you notice or will fail suddenly. I personally wouldn't trust an OEM CDI unit as far as I can throw it. There are many riders who are happily tooling around with the original CDI in the bike, and may do so for years, YMMV.

Any doubts as to whether it fits, installation etc., ASK on this board, do a search of this board and you will find numerous posts, as a last resort- PM me. ;-)

The unit comes complete with CX500 software installed and a PLUG/PLAY wiring harness,
no modifications to your motorcycle or wiring is necessary. Simple easy to follow instructions are provided.

IDENTIFICATION:

Verify your ignition type. There is a small chance early CDI engines may have been swapped for later TI engines, and '82 is a split year for the CX500 Custom, some early '82's had CDI ignitions.

If your bike has either of the above pictured boxes, it is a CDI system and the Ignitech unit will replace it.

If your bike is equipped with silver modules marked "NEC" shown below , it is a TI system, and the Ignitech will not work on your bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For buyers outside the USA (sorry Canadians, this includes you, even though Canada is geographically closer to Boston than most of the US,) prices vary for different shipping methods.

After receiving your ordering information (I will post link to a simple order form after I receive delivery of units) I will get back to you with shipping options available to your country.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds good. Us Canadians are used to the higher shipping costs unfortunately... no surprise there's. I figure it would still be better then buying direct.

Let me know where to sign up and we'll go from there.

Thanks for setting this up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would be interested as well.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Put me down for one, maybe ship all the Canadian ones to me and i can disperse them from here ?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Units cleared US customs this morning. There were duties and fees to be paid this time.

Any of you who have had to pay import taxes in Euroland, Canada, Australia etc. may want to stop reading now.....

Brokerage fees and import taxes amounted to U$36.00. Individual units sent to some other countries have had to pay 2, 3 or 4 times that.

The price will remain the same for this group buy, as divided between the units it's within my buffer price of U$136.00.

I have read the emails and PM's from those who sent them, if I haven't responded it's because of time constraints.

DHL has confirmed that delivery will be sometime before 6PM tomorrow. CD's will be burned, installation instructions will be printed, boxes will be assembled, units will be packaged over the weekend and they will start going out next week.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put me down for one, maybe ship all the Canadian ones to me and i can disperse them from here ?
The offer is very much appreciated, but I think if more than a few units are shipped at once, they will be be held for duties, taxes etc. by the Canadian Revenue Agency.

With an exception or two, individually sent units have breezed over the border with no bureaucratic or revenue encumbrances.

If someone's heading your way and willing to deliver them, that would work well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts