Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you buying the ignitech programmable TCI units, like the SPARKER TCIP4, have you dabbled in the programming of them? I am seriosuly thinking on buying three of these units ( 2 for my Vulcan 7XX's and one for my CX500). No one has currently installed them on the VN700/750 as of yet (one guy is getting one in a few days), but I am wonering how easy it is to mess with the programs. And what kind of test equipment I will need to see the actual test results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For those of you buying the ignitech programmable TCI units, like the SPARKER TCIP4, have you dabbled in the programming of them? I am seriosuly thinking on buying three of these units ( 2 for my Vulcan 7XX's and one for my CX500). No one has currently installed them on the VN700/750 as of yet (one guy is getting one in a few days), but I am wonering how easy it is to mess with the programs. And what kind of test equipment I will need to see the actual test results.

you won't need test equipment, the ignitech has a serial port that outputs a bunch of data to a program you run on your computer. Has a tach, spark advance output, etc.

As far as tweaking it, I don't recall exactly but I think someone did and it did not end well. Not sure what you would really play with.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to tinker a lot... and I am going to be grinding a cam for one of the vulcan's (main reason for something programmable). so this might not be the way to go... I want something easy to TUNE.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I've never played with it, but you can plug in your own values for the ignition curve, set it to spark X times per revolution, or set spark via cam, output to fuel pump etc. Go to ignitech.cz and download the software, it's a small program, open it up and you'll see the parameters that can be tweaked.

The guys that played with the settings on the CX version of the sparker unit found that the ignitech parameters it came with worked best with a stock bike. Ignitech tweaked it a little for the CX, it's supposedly a little better than factory settings.

Hook it up to an old $50 ebay laptop with a serial port and you can tune in the field or on the dyno.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
CDI CX's uses the DC-CDI-P2

and as said, the stock settings seem to be optimum

and the tuneability option seems a bit redundant unless you want to race it

or fiddle with it

the TCIP4 looks to be for TI engined bikes

and may well be the one for a Vulcan though I dont know the bike.

It sounds like a possible replacement for Spark units on TI bikes

Nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering but I'd suggest you save the stock settings

as a protected file first before tinkering so you have a baseline setting

and something to refer back to if it all goes wonky.

The software is easy enough to play with.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
All the CX's with CDI use that same box. There's a group buy going on now, if interested check in buying/selling and PM me.

Too bad you didn't post earlier, I may have been able to piggyback the Vulcan box onto the present group buy and saved you a few bucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am holding out for the next group buy... I am going to be needing several parts off the ignitech sight, that I would love to piggy back in if at all possible. Right now another member on the VN750 forums is waiting for the SPARKER TCIP4, if it works for him then I will be interested in doing this.. if not I will be looking into the one for the cx to be used on the Vulcan.

Here is the Vulcan 750's ignition system wiring schematic if it helps answer some questions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.