1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry if this has been stated before, but here is what I want to do, is it possible?

1980 CDI CX500 with ignitech

I'd like to replace the stator with the cheaper G7 or G8.

1. Is it possible? (I think Stitch did it)

2. Where do I buy one in the US?

Would this work? http://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...or_for__gl_500_silverwing_/1981-1982/3758.htm
Yes it is possible. You need to disconnect and remove the CDI voltage coil leads from the harness, and replace the silverwing stator for charging only. Keep the CDI pulsars from the old setup.

This is what I want to do this winter

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I read that it is possible... the one problem someone had was the stator was thinner then the original, so you need shorter bolts to hold it in place.

I might be wrong. But I am pretty sure it would work. lets see what everyone else says.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What are the voltage coil leads?
If you look at the CDI stator, there will be the charging coil (3 yellow wires), and the CDI low and high speed coils. The GL stator is purely charging, and we don't need the low and high speed coils to power the ignitech. Therefore, you remove all the wires that go to the actual cdi stator, and replace it with the GL stator, which only has the charging hookups.

Edit-

Compare to this stator. You can see the two coils that power the CDI. The wire colors aren't the same as my stator, but you get the idea. http://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...100-415-005/honda_oem__31100-415-005//254.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Stitch

The quick reference didn't say if the stator was being replaced on a TI or CDI engine. Looked like a TI, but I could be wrong.

Why/how would you use the ignitech on a ti bike? It's cdi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.