Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an easy installation! I can actually accelerate & go past 5000 rpm. Feels great. Thank you Cobram for coordinating the Ignitec purchasing. Best money I have spent in a long time. Got to get back on the ol CX and ride. Happy Motoring!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did wonders for my 81... so many strange problems until the Ignitech fixed it up real fast! Just got mine started back up for the season.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I love mine and have convinced my brother to get one in the last group buy.

I even use mine for diagnosing other people's cdi/stators.

This one guy came over in early november and I hooked up my ignitech and he racked the pipes and said the bike never did that before. I told him to take the bike for a test drive and I bet he was gone for 45 minutes. Almost started wondering if he was going to come back. Then he come back and we swapped the stuff back over and I thought he was going to cry. Had to limp his bike home at 45-50mph.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My thanks too cobram! Finally got around to installing it today...your instructions were so simple and easy to follow i should have just spent the damn 20 minutes and done it right away.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I love how easy it is to install.  I hope I'm not insulting anybody here, but there's a youtube vid where somebody offers to install one for $600!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
For one, it's not a 30+ year old part that is worn out and tired, these old original CDI's can start to get a little wonky and cause issues. The second good thing is it turns the bike into something similar to a TI ignition bike and eases the load on the stator. I'm sure somebody will jump in and give you a better technical explanation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
From what I understand, it takes the load of ignition completely off the stator and lets it come direct from the battery. With the fact that it's a new unit if you were to get the tecoparts coils, you'd have a brand new ignition system alleviating what is probably one of the number one problems with these bikes. The CDI crapping the bed.

I got one from Cobram as well, and it's going on the bike tomorrow. I'm going to go from a non-running bike because of the CDI to a fully running machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a million Cobram!

Just installed mine yesterday, (about 15 mins) and now my bike runs like a champ!

I had the same 5000rpm stall problems, but not anymore.

Actually got to ride my bike to work today, a 20 mi. ride down I-40, and could not be happier!!

Thanks again!!!

WillyB.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
I think maybe the ignitech boys worked out a better advance curve than the standard CDI box gives.

And anything that's operating correctly will outperform something that isn't.

Hondas CDI units work very well but they are becoming an aging, hard to get component.

·
Registered
967 Posts
so I understand, these are replacement coils that go under the tank? I was out yesterday, 95 or so degrees, and the bike began to sputter and such around 2000 to 3000 rpm. when I got about 3000 it seemed to come to life.

Recently a member asked what some holes in the bike were for (the air dam) and I am wondering if these are the symptoms of my coils going bad and the heat didnt help them any?

The bike sounded/performed like it would as though it were running out of fuel.

All that to say,...if these symptoms point to my coils, and the ignitech is the solution, how much are they and do I get these through Cobram?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
No, replacement for the CDI unit under the seat and it's powering coils in the alternator stator.

Coils are available from wemoto and similar.

Your bike isn't running lean is it?

·
Registered
967 Posts
No, replacement for the CDI unit under the seat and it's powering coils in the alternator stator.

Coils are available from wemoto and similar.

Your bike isn't running lean is it?

I have richened up the mix, but think I may have been a tad lean prior to doing this about 200 miles ago. After yesterday's ride I came home to a power outage and wanted to check the plugs. I will do that tonight and let you know. When I did adjust the mixture screws, I did not sync them which could also be part of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats how mine felt at 5K rpms, like it wasnt getting gas. My Uncle "Old Okie" found these posts and gave me a heads up on the high speed stators going bad. This ignitech unit apparently by-passes both the low and high rpm ignition stators. Not sure about the 2-3k rpm range though...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Thats how mine felt at 5K rpms, like it wasnt getting gas. My Uncle "Old Okie" found these posts and gave me a heads up on the high speed stators going bad. This ignitech unit apparently by-passes both the low and high rpm ignition stators. Not sure about the 2-3k rpm range though...

ok so its about time you join the forums!! how many times did okie tell ya about us here?? cant wait to go ride with you your uncle and marshall and any one else that lives in or near the okc area

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Glad to hear all the good news about the good running CX's.

I guess I should get an Ignetech for my nonrunning "78,

if there are any available. Cobram????

There is something about taking these old relics and making them

useful again. I really hate it when one gets scrapped out but I guess that

is partly what keeps the others running, spare parts.

We do need a group ride if you will allow a Turbo to tag along,

that's all I have running at the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.