Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
You should have a longer red wire that connects into that red plug off the ignitech. The wire in question you are looking for is the hot wire that runs into the foot brake lever switch on the left side of the bike. It's connected to the spring. Make sure you have the power in wire and not the power out wire.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Here's what you are looking for. You want the wire the plugs into the black wire on this brake switch.

The red wire connects to this other red wire that should have came with the ignitech.

Then there should be a blue fold over splicer to join the red wire to the black wire.

I think the splicer is a dumb idea. So what I did was I got a 3 inch length of wire and connected a male bullet connector to the one side and then crimped the red wire to that 3 inch length of wire at the female bullet connector.

I have had the splicer unhook a few times after taking the seat off.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
 Here's a picture of the wire Stitch posted while its in the bike.  It's the 4th up from the bottom:

Stitch's wiring is a better, tougher way but I used the splice and it's worked for me.  Different seat and different amount of room under the wire though.  

PS: post your year and model when you get a chance, helps people help you.

·
Registered
50 Posts

In the same wire bundle as the connection for the green wire in harness... I used a squeeze tap before the bullet ( I Know
!!) then sealed with silicone fuse wrap....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
OK, so here I am thinking I'm helping answer the question, but just now when I went to look at my wiring to make sure I realize when I did it I spliced the back part of the wire, in my picture above the ignitech's not attached yet and I thought when I did it I had it attached to the part of the black wire coming from the ignition, but just looking at things now it's attached to the black in Stitch's picture, the part ending at the brake switch.  It's worked for me, no problems at all but is it a potential problem?  I don't know what I was looking at when I did it the first time, must have been drinking?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,450 Posts
I spliced into the switched wire to the starter solenoid, if I recall correctly. Sorry, no pic.

EDIT: Oops, had that wrong.

I tapped the red wire on the middle connector under the solenoid in the pic above.

EDIT: Or was it the right-most connector? Now I'll have to look.

R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts