Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you modified the swing arm on a bike, and put a truck rim and tire on the bike..... would it float enough that you could ride it on the water? Maybe put a ski instead of a front wheel?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Nate !!!

leave the paint tins outdoors mate

the fumes are getting to you

OK lets play this for a moment

you have a very fat floaty back tyre and ride down the bank into the water

what happens?

Well. after you swin back to the bank

you have a nice marker bouy/shipping hazard

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
You would need a really big tire to displace 500 pounds plus rider and even then the front would sink and point face down. Not an ideal situation.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/man_builds_water_chopper.php

Jim Garlitz, a man who runs a pizza shop in Maryland, has combined a Yamaha Virago motorcycle with an outboard engine to create, uh, this thing, the water chopper. Capable of doing 37 mph, it looks like it was invented long ago and called the jetski. It also looks like I wouldn't want to get on it. Unless I was using it as a pirating vessel to rob all the stupid tourists that rent those floating big wheel bikes at the beach.

Pizza anyone?

And lets not forget,

·
Registered
167 Posts
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/man_builds_water_chopper.php

Jim Garlitz, a man who runs a pizza shop in Maryland, has combined a Yamaha Virago motorcycle with an outboard engine to create, uh, this thing, the water chopper. Capable of doing 37 mph, it looks like it was invented long ago and called the jetski. It also looks like I wouldn't want to get on it. Unless I was using it as a pirating vessel to rob all the stupid tourists that rent those floating big wheel bikes at the beach.

Pizza anyone?

And lets not forget,

Ok... what's the story on the heli? Who is he? Did it ever get off the ground? Did anyone from the forum send flowers to the funeral home?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Technically, its a helicopter, as it only has one set of rotor blades (as opposed to two counter rotating ones to counteract engine torque). As for a safe landing, not a hope in hell, especially since its super old school with a fixed rotor blade set as per the picture (no pitch control on the blades for collective). If the engine dies in that, it will land very simmilar to a lawn mower pitched off a 10 story building LMAO This guy wont even be able to use autorotation to save his ass. Hope his tail rotor parts arnt 30 years old LMAO

You couldnt pay me to try that out lol (although I would jump at the chance to hop in a AH-64
)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I guarantee that with enough tire (think life preserver) anything will float. I had a Honda big red three wheeler which floated quite well.... upside down after I drove it over the edge of a bluff. not pretty, but not on the bottom either

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guarantee that with enough tire (think life preserver) anything will float. I had a Honda big red three wheeler which floated quite well.... upside down after I drove it over the edge of a bluff. not pretty, but not on the bottom either

See?!!! I knew it!!! Thanks nolavox!!!

Around here we have a style of racing..... Not joking here.... they take completely unmodified snow-mobiles and race them, in a circle, on the water. And it is during the summer. No the lake is not frozen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A Gyro copter will in fact Gyro safely to the ground as long as there is sufficient forward motion prior to engine failure. If you were, say, doing a vertical movement, it would return to earth along the same path that it ascended.

Also the distinction between a Helli and a gyro: a Gyro must have a rearward or forward facing propeller as it will not ascend without forward motion. Once airborne the propeller is slowed and stopped in favor of the rotor blade doing the work.

( I read popular mechanics hey
)

peace out.

Oh When

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
Around here we have a style of racing..... Not joking here.... they take completely unmodified snow-mobiles and race them, in a circle, on the water. And it is during the summer. No the lake is not frozen.
When I was a kid (and long before sleds had the power-to-weight ratio to maintain a plane on the water), there were clubs in southern PA who would skip their Ski-Doos across a pond to see who could reach the far bank. They were all tethered with a cable to pull out the losers.

R

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
A Gyro copter will in fact Gyro safely to the ground as long as there is sufficient forward motion prior to engine failure. If you were, say, doing a vertical movement, it would return to earth along the same path that it ascended.

Also the distinction between a Helli and a gyro: a Gyro must have a rearward or forward facing propeller as it will not ascend without forward motion. Once airborne the propeller is slowed and stopped in favor of the rotor blade doing the work.

( I read popular mechanics hey
)

peace out.

Oh When

True
but that is far from a gyro. With that "prop style fixed pitch rotor" and variable speed drive it would drop like a sack of bricks if the engine died.

All real helicopters use an engine that runs 85% max RPM ALL THE TIME (only ever varied for high altitude compensation) with the up, down, thrust all being generated by the collective (variable pitch of the rotor). The blade spin at the same speed throughout flight, only the blade pitch changes. This is the case for both single rotor set helicopters, as well as the dual counter-rotating rotor ones. With real helicopters, the only way your going to walk away from a total engine failure is to use a manuver called "auto rotation". The only reason it works is that real helicopters DO have airfoils (basically wings), which are the rotor blades. as long as they are spinning and have a "pitch" they act just like a wing (thats why most big helicopters land like planes, not straight up and down) Its a tricky move that takes balls and works some of the time if you are not too high and have good forward speed. The poor pilot has to do a lot of stuff right AND very fast;

- he must first drop the collective to 0 (setting the rotor pitch to almost nothing to reduce wind resistance on the blades and allow them to free spin)

- he must try really hard not to soil his pants as the helicopter basically falls

- at the right time (distance above ground) he shoves the collective to max, rotor pitch goes to max and really bites the air, slowwing him dramatically

- if he has timed it right he will hit the ground at a very slow verticle speed

( I operate military sims for my primary hobby, AH-64 Apache, RAH-66 comanche, Kamov KA-50 and the F-16 Falcon
)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.