Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've getting a bit of an odd idle issue. Or maybe it's not odd, maybe I'm just too new to motorcycles and this is normal. Either way, I just got the carbs back on after a fully Larry-style clean and rebuild and a 90/120 rejett. The bike also has a baffle-less MAC 2-1 on it now.

I lubricated the cables before reinstalling as well.

When started up, the bike idles at, lets say 1000RPM (no tach mounted).

After I blip the throttle, the idle will set at around 1300RPM, and stay there. This is after the bike has warmed up, with the choke in.

I can fiddle with the idle adjustment knob, but it's the same story, it will always jump up after I give it throttle.

Maybe this is supposed to happen? I don't recall it happening before.

Here's a video of it: [media]http://vimeo.com/24341219[/media]

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
In the video you posted,,after you shut the bike off, if you had restarted it, would the idle have been slower again?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

I found that the plugs in the bike were not the correct plugs.

I replaced them with NGK D8EA plugs.

I've found that a lot of gas has been draining out the bowl tubes. I also found that only one cylinder is firing. I figured the gas is draining out because it's not being used in one cylinder.

I'm not sure if it was firing before or not. I'm going to pull the plug and air out the cylinder to make sure it isn't flooded. I'll also be checking for spark.

I pulled the plug on the side that is firing, and it's pretty black. Would the opposite cylinder not firing cause the firing cylinder to run rich??

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If you mean you have fuel leaks it's usually one of two things.

1:Cracked brass upright tube in the Float bowl.

2:Incorrect float heights or grit/damage around the float needle valve or in it's hole.

Anything wrong with the Float needle valve/floats and it won't meter the fuel correctly leading to all sorts of carburation problems including wet plugs and fuel leaks etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how to verify whether it's a fuel leak that's the issue or not. One cylinder isn't firing for some reason, and I'm getting a constant drip of fuel out of the line that comes from the bowl.

I also checked both bowls to make sure the upright tubes weren't cracked. One was and I replaced it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I did some diagnostics last night and it appears to be the float settings.

After sitting for a bit, both cylinders will fire and run for about 10-15 seconds, then the same one will cut out. So at least I know there is spark.

Would it make sense for incorrect float to height cause this?

I tried to adjust them both to Larry's specs while I had them apart, but maybe I'm not measuring right. Or maybe it's just not sealing. Does anyone have a picture of what points I'm measuring distance from? I plan on pulling them apart in the next few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.